Thursday, March 29, 2012

Thankful Thursday- March 29

This week the kiddos and I are grateful in a whole new way for God's creation.  We have been watching the Decorah Eagles (has anyone else been watching?) via live webcam almost non-stop since Friday, when the estimated her eggs would begin to hatch.

We have been amazed at how incredibly gentle this large, magnificent bird has been in so many ways-- whether it be sitting on her eggs, gently turning them at precise intervals and shielding them from the high winds that she obviously was up against the other night.  What is also incredible is her unending patience.  That has most astounded the kiddos.  :-) 



Even though eagles are not known to be kind and gentle birds, this large creature, once her eggs begun to hatch, could situate herself on top of them just enough to keep them warm and protected, but not enough to harm or suffocate them.  Isn't God's creation incredible?  Her mate keeps unending watch from a nearby branch and brings her and the eaglets food.



Yesterday, the first egg hatched and it has been quite a sight to see.



(forgive me if the photos are a little grainy.  I took them of the computer screen as it was all unfolding before our eyes!)  :-)

We have learned so much from this experience and are very grateful to have been able to witness it first-hand.

I am linking up today with Theresa at Red Oak Lane for her Thankful Thursday.  Come over and share something for which you are grateful today.  :-)

8 comments:

Jessica G said...

We love to watch live cams like this! I especially like the penguin cam at Seaworld.
One thing for which I'm very thankful is my online friends, especially fellow bloggers who keep me inspired. And you are one of them. :)Hope you're especially blessed today.
~Jessica

gail said...

we watched last year - truly amazing!

Michelle @ Changed By The Maker said...

Hi Lisa,
I have the eagles on my facebook, so I get updates, but I have not been watching them as much as I like. Today I found there is another live webcam site streaming video of a blue heron's nest! You might want to google it as that egg has not yet hatched, and the bird is quite interesting to look at!

I enjoyed reading your post, Lisa!

Karen said...

We LOVE watching live cams too. I am about to check that one out. We have been watching Red Tail Hawks sit on their eggs. It is almost 'can't look away'. We love it.

Nikki @ Simplystriving said...

Love that you're watching them! It's not too far from where my husband grew up, so we've visted the site before--how close they let you get anyway. We've been watching them for years. love technology like that!

Unknown said...

After reading your post and all the comments I am beginning to think I live under a rock. I was not even aware that you could do such things. Very cool

Aloha Acres said...

I love watching God's amazing creation with my family.

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! I had not heard of that. Thank you for sharing and linking up!