Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Look! What we did! Wednesday

Flashcards!  :-)

They aren't just for addition and multiplication facts anymore.

When you spend all day every day with your children, you really get to know them.  And one thing I have determined about my kiddos is their individual learning styles.  Like me, they are definitely visual, but tactile, as well.  They need to see and do in order to truly learn.  While most educational programs are designed for auditory learners, I have found from my experience in classrooms and in homeschool that the least amount of learning actually takes place from just hearing about something.  Seeing and doing make it real and make it last.

I have found that a good way to reinforce my childrens' learning is with flashcards.  They serve their visual and tactile needs and can have so many fun applications other than rote review and memorization.  It just takes a bit of creativity to come up with a game or two, but it can be done and can be fun.  :-)

My daughter this week learned about measurements.  I made up cards with photos of each individual measurement and its equivalent for her to review and practice.



(If you were wondering about the interesting items on the table, lol, kiddo also had to do measurements in her math chapter and she had to select "household items" to measure.  It made me lol with some of the items she chose! i.e. toilet tissue :-))  To download these, click here.



I also made Kiddos 1 and 2 some review flashcards for formulas from their Pre-Algebra class.  To download them for your family, click here.






Kiddos 3 and 4 finished up the chapter on bears in their Zoology book.  I made up some cards for them to remember some of the names and facts about the various bears.  If you would like these, be my guest!  :-)  Just click here.





Others I have made include states and capitals, states and postal abbreviations, synonyms. antonyms and homonyms.  I usually print them on cardstock and laminate them with contact paper so they can withstand our use and abuse.  :-)

So, that is some of what we did today!  I am linking up with Theresa at Red Oak Lane today.  Come over and share something that you did today, as well.  :-)

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Love this! Great job mom!

Unknown said...

Very creative!!

Anonymous said...

This is great!! Thank you for linking with "Look What We Did"! I pinned this one.

Do you know how to make pdf's? I bet people would download these! You could probably even make a whole book of all the different things you create and sell it as an ebook!