Since we are almost 3/4 of the way through our Lenten Journey, I thought it would be a good time to examine how our Lent has become more meaningful this year.
Our Kind Words Cross is filling up. As you remember from this post, the kiddos are putting an Easter lily on the cross each time they say something kind. I am hoping that they will see how their kind words to one another (and to the grownups, too!) can bloom into something beautiful by Easter Sunday. I have also found that they have really gotten into the habit of saying kind things to one another. Sometimes, they aren't even realizing that they are doing it. That makes a mom's heart smile!
Their Good Deeds Jar is also getting there. Each time they make a sacrifice or go out of their way to do something for someone, they can add a bean to the jar. On Easter Sunday, all of those beans just may become jelly beans. ;-)
My children did choose some things to give up for Lent, but I have also tried to stress that "doing" something is just as important during this penitential season. For example, we have tried to attend the Stations of the Cross devotions at our church each Friday. We are doing the extra kind sacrifices and saying extra kind things and reading books that have us focusing on the true meaning of the season and bringing us closer to God and His Word.
As we head into the last two weeks of Lent, I hope that your journey has been a meaningful one so far!
I am linking up today with Michelle at Changed by the Maker for her "Make Life Meaningful Monday."
9 comments:
I haven't even read your post yet, but I wanted to let you know that your link on my site goes directly to your Ash Wednesday post, not your newest post. Okay, now I'm going to go and read!
Yes! I loved your Ash Wednesday post, and I'm delighted to see and read about how it's going! I remember telling you that you inspired me to make Lent a more meaningful time in our family's faith walk, and I hope to engage the kids in something more tangible, as you have done, next year. I am hoping to have the boys make a resurrection garden this week! Have you seen them on Pinterest? They are beautiful! Anyway, thanks again for linking up, Lisa! Have a terrific week!
Great ideas! I love that you are making Lent so meaningful for your kiddos!
Such wonderful ideas! I am making a smaller cross and lillies for the next two weeks - my girls have not been careful of their words and actions lately it seems. When I post about it, I will link directly back here.
Next year I am totally doing the bean-jar idea - LOVE it!
Love the ideas! I am going to write this one down for next year!
Lisa, I don't know how I missed your kindness cross, but I did! I LOVE the idea! I may have to steal it for next year ;) Love how you "may" change all those beans into jelly beans too!
Lisa,
That kindness cross is a lovely idea. Thank you. I like how practiced obedience can lead to habits. Exciting, isn't it?
Jennifer Dougan
www.jenniferdougan.com
goodness ya'll have been busy. I like the bean jar. We've done jelly beans before, but I like the idea of using the dry beans that become jelly beans on Easter morning. :)
I really have enjoyed your posts about Lent. Admittedly, I have been unsure how to explain Len to my girls, but you have been so encouraging! thank you!
Post a Comment