Friday, March 30, 2012

Homeschool Mother's Journal/Weekly Wrap-Up March 30

In my life/homeschool this week: On Friday, the kiddos and I headed to the library.  The librarians were so helpful in assisting each of the them in what they wanted to find.  I know there are lots of fun and informative power point presentations to come!  :-)  We also learned that the library offers all kinds of programs to homeschoolers and are hosting a Mad Science Chemistry program next month.  We are looking to it!  :-)




On Monday, the kiddos had their music lessons and Kiddos 1 and 2 had their biweekly dissection lab.  This session they worked on the yellow perch.




Tuesday, after our school work was completed, we headed to bowling.  Two of them hit triple figures this week.  :-)



We also read the classic "Tale of the Three Trees."  It is a special book whose message never grows old, especially as this Lenten season comes to a close...


I posted my reflections on this year's Lenten Journey, our Kind Words Cross and Good Deeds Beans here

On Wednesday, everyone started coming down with coughs and colds, so it was off to the couch for school (isn't homeschooling grand?)  :-)  But, we have been able to enjoy watching a live webcam of an eagle tending to her eggs and seeing them once they have hatched!  It has been such an incredible experience and we are so grateful to be able to watch it and grow in appreciation of God's beautiful creation.  You can read about it and see more photos of the eaglets here.


There were still lots of sniffles and sneezes on Thursday, so we continued to do a lighter load, some still on the couch.  Kiddo #4 attended her sewing class.  She begun a tote bag.  Last week, Pop-Pop helped her finish the final hem on her pajama bottoms.  They came out really cute.  :-)


We were able to do some volunteer work at church in the afternoon and make it to classes there after that. 

Not sure what Friday will bring, but I will certainly post about it soon..  :-)

What I'm reading: continuing Lenten reading with the kiddos and am looking forward to starting "31 Days to Clean-- having a Martha House the Mary Way" with an online reading group after Easter.

What's working: flexibility, catering to each child's strengths/interests, hands-on activities

What's cooking: I posted my recipe for Chocolate Chip Pound Cake here.  There were lots of other recipes linked up, as well.

A quote or photo to share:  I found these especially apropo as our freedom of religion and conscience goes before the Supreme Court this week:

"Never do anything against conscience even if the state demands it. "--Albert Einstein
"In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place."--Mahatma Gandhi


Another one of Kiddo #1's awesome moon shots.  :-)

I am linking up with week with Homeschool Mother's Journal and Weekly Wrap-up.  Come share about your week.  :-)



 

13 comments:

Rebecca said...

I do love the flexibility of homeschool and that I NOW know I can be flexibile, not rigid! That dissection lab still looks awesome and what a colorful library! I have to add this, I made pj bottoms one time...your daughter's turned out much better!!!! Have a GREAT week!

Unknown said...

Great photos! It looks like you guys have a lot of fun!

Dropping by from the HMJ.

gail said...

love love love our library! so glad you had a great library visit and discovered some homeschool programs! i have never heard of The Tale of Three Trees - i may have to see if i can get it from our library today :) sounds like another great week!

Carrie said...

Oh, Lisa - my oldest daughter would love to know how to sew the pajama bottoms! She needs some to wear and I'm sure she's getting tired of making bags for everyone ;) Any ideas on kid-friendly patterns? I'll definitely record the book you mentioned and mentally prepare to read it next year!

Unknown said...

What a fantastic week!! I'm so glad that y'all are on the mend :) And yes, totally love the flexibility that homeschool provides!!

Did you get my email about May 15th at Washington's Crossing? Would love to meet up with you there!

Unknown said...

Love the PJ bottoms! Cow print! Cute! And the moon photo is beautiful!

What do the kids think of dissecting? My oldest is doing high school Biology next year and I have been encouraging him to do at least the BASIC 2-3 speciums, but he's not quite sure about it.

(Hoping to link out to Try it Tuesday this coming week. We didn't do much cooking the week before.)

Karen said...

Gosh there is SO much I have to say about this post! Isn't the library great? The Mad Science Chemistry sounds amazing! And Keilee had a dissection class last week and they were SUPPOSED to dissect perch but things got messed up. She was really disappointed.

I love your girls pj's! Too cute. We have been watching the eaglets too. Isn't that awesome to watch? Great week Lisa, have a good weekend.

Unknown said...

One things that I have found amazing this year ( this is our first yr of homeschooling) is the flexibility. If my daughter feels really rough in the am we school in the pm, etc...
We are really enjoying that. :)

momto8 said...

I learned so much from this post!!! the nesting must be so cool to watch...for kids and adults!! love love the Einstien quote and I never heard of the book you are reading but i like it already!!!
thank you for your thoughts today. i am grateful for your blogging friendship. i appreciate you.
happy happy weekend. It is almost Easter!

Eileen Marie Miller said...

I love "The Tale of Three Trees" too. It looks like you've had a good week. We eat a lot of Salmon on Fridays during Lent. I hope these last few weeks of Lent find your family blessed. My middle schooler is in the Stations of the Cross on Good Friday. The kids reenact the whole event. It is very nice and very somber. Thanks for visiting my post!

Unknown said...

You have all been having an interesting week Lisa! Lovely pictures as always. I hope the coughs and colds will be gone very soon. Have a good weekend.

Becky@CharlieBrown said...

Wow! Love the moon shot!
(and the info about the eagles...we will check that out. My youngest will EAT.IT.UP)
Visiting from WUH. :)

Chareen said...

great moon shot :)

I love the tale of three trees. Our pastor read that to the church a few years ago ...

Hope you are all fully recovered.

I enjoyed having a Martha house the Mary way.

Blessings on the week ahead.