Thursday, May 9, 2013

TOS Review- Papa's Pearls



Today I am reviewing a book called "Papa's Pearls: A Father's Gift of Love and Wisdom to His Children and Grandchildren" by Diane Flynn Keith.

Even though this book wasn't much more than 100 pages, it is filled with wit and wisdom.  It is the heartwarming story of a man who rose from the streets of the Great Depression to be a successful businessman, but more importantly, a funny, wise and loving family man.


This family man, Carol Joseph Flynn, or "Papa," was a caring and devoted husband, father and grandfather.  Through his "pearls" of wisdom, funny sayings and the way he conducted his life, he gave his family (and now we readers) an example of what it means to be a real man-- one who has a strong work ethic, loves his God, loves his family and never hesitated to tell or show them how much.

What really struck me was that Papa was always positive, no matter what the situation, and raised his children to be grateful and to always look for the bright side.  Even when walking through raw sewage for a job with his plumbing business, he reminded his son to convince himself that he loved the smell: "'You just tell yourself you like it.  then, it's not so bad.'  You may not be able to control circumstances or people, but you can definitely control your reaction to them."  His business became quite successful through hard work like this, but Papa always remembered his humble roots and was extremely generous to those in need, even a local woman and her mom who had lost everything due to a dishonest financial transaction.

Some chapters had me literally laughing out loud at Papa's antics and humor (he seemed like quite the character!) and crying in others, because of his kind, gentle and generous spirit.  I felt like a member of the family after reading this book and I hope to share some of these beautiful insights and "pearls" of wisdom with my children.  Some of my favorites include:

"Keep a Foxy Pocket"
"When you fall down- get back up, brush yourself off, and try again!"
"Be grateful every day"
"Doodle-lee do it!"
"I love you, you know that, right?"

Even as he aged and was growing weaker, when he found out that Diane was writing the book, he said to her (as tears well up again in my eyes!):

"I think this is a good idea.  You gotta tell 'em.  This world...They don't know.  They don't know they're loved.  You gotta tell 'em they're loved.  And tell 'em to say it out loud every day to their families."

I read this myself because I wasn't sure what to expect, but I look forward to reading and discussing it with my teenaged boys.  It provides a good example to them on how they should strive to live their lives.  Except for one or two little snippets from when Papa was young and considering criminal activity, it would even be appropriate for my 9 and 11 year olds.  It is filled with love, faith, family and hard work.  How can you go wrong with that?
:-)

I think Papa's message speaks volumes to parents.  Are we too impatient?  Do we inspire our children? Do we always, no matter what, remind them of how much they are loved?  Papa, when dealing with his children, always used gentle words, gave mercy and showed them much love.  This is something I think all parents need to be reminded of from time to time.

I feel very blessed to have been chosen to do this review so I could read this book and be touched by its timeless lessons and wisdom.  It isn't often that I would wholeheartedly recommend any product, but I would do so with this book.  I don't think anyone can read it and not be touched.

You can purchase the book from the Papa's Pearls website for $14.97 plus shipping.  Diane will autograph each one with a word of wisdom from Papa.  :-)  It is also available on Amazon for $13.47 plus shipping.


Photobucket

4 comments:

Diane Flynn Keith said...

Hi Lisa! Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review "Papa's Pearls." Your review made me a little teary because you really "get" Papa. He truly did practice mercy - it was one of his great strengths.
I thought you might like to know that I'm having a Papa's Pearls Father's Day Contest. Share a memory about your own father or grandfather on my blog and be entered to win a $50 Gift Card to Amazon. Get the details here:
http://papaspearls.com/fathers-day-contest-win-a-50-amazon-gift-card-from-papas-pearls/ Thanks, again!

Jennifer said...

This sounds like a wonderful memoir of her Papa.

a49erfangirl said...

This sounds like a really good book. I like how he was positive through every aspect.

Meg Falciani said...

This was one of my favorite crew reviews!