:-)
In my life/homeschool this week:
On Monday, Kiddo #4 had her sewing class in which she has continued work on her summer nightgown. She is learning new skills, including gathering. I will photograph her "masterpiece" as soon as it is all done. :-)
Kiddo #2 got to do a fun experiment with his Oceanography study. He got to test his endurance of ice-cold water with 2 rubber gloves on one hand and 2 rubber gloves with a thick layer of vaseline in between on the other. The vaseline was to simulate the insulating effects of blubber. Needless to say, there was a big difference (25 seconds to 1 minute 1 second). You have to love fun, hands-on science!
I also posted my weekly recipe share "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." There are already over 60 recipes linked up in addition to Kiddo #4's Peanut Butter Teddy Bear cookies. You can take a look here. Her Snickerdoodles from last week were extremely popular and have already been featured on two other food blogs this week! :-)
Wednesday's Italian lesson was fun. The kids are looking forward to this week's homework assignment. They each get to put together a video commercial in Italian for Nutella. (yummy!) :-) I posted my Wordless Wednesday post that showed photos of the kids getting outside and helping out with some tasks including waterproofing lumber for our little garden and sanding bannisters. You can see all of the photos here.
Thursday was a regular day with our classes at church at Kiddo #1's Civil Air Patrol. Next weekend, he will be going away with his squadron for time in Washington, D.C. There have been such wonderful opportunities through CAP, for which we are very grateful.
Speaking of gratitude, I also posted my Thankful Thursday post that you can see here. Among other things, I am grateful for fun science activities with my children.
This morning (Friday), I love that my hubby texted from work some practical math questions for Kiddo#1 and 2 to answer. I just love when math becomes real for the kids! Kiddo #1 had to calculate the amount of cubic feet of dirt our garden will need. (that answers the "when will I ever have to know the formula for volume of a rectangular prism?" question. :-)) Kiddo #2 had to calculate how much PVC pipe and twine would be needed to construct a trellis for our peas. That was after him looking up how far apart the peas would need to be planted and remembering how many plants we have. Gotta love it! :-)
What I'm reading: I started and finished "The Shack" in one day. What a powerful and spiritual book. Not exactly theological or Biblical in some portions, but if you look at it as more of a parable, you will be deeply moved. I sure was. Wow. I also finished "Papa's Pearls." I was asked to write a review of it, which will be going live in a few days. It was a wonderful and touching book. Not sure what I'm going to read next. Those two books will be difficult acts to follow.
A photo or quote to share: Ok, I have several. I went to a website and looked up Mark Twain quotes. Boy, did he have wisdom and humor and his quotes still speak volumes today! I love these! I'm sure you will, too. :-)
"Don't go around saying that the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
"In the first place, God made idiots. This was for practice. The He made school boards."
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself."
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."
"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education."
"Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been."
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Linking up today with: Homeschool Mother's Journal, Weekly Wrap-Up, NOBH, Show-Off Friday, Learn and Link and It's a Wrap, Friendship Friday and Friday Connection and Family Fun Friday
14 comments:
1. I've never in my life had allergies until I moved here. Have you heard of VOG? It's when the winds blow in the volcanic ash. I thought I was dying the other day (ok, not really, but ) until my neighbor told me what it was. Now I have so much sympathy for anyone with allergies.
2. We did the science experiment a few years ago. Fun! (and interesting)
3. I tried The Shack a few years ago and couldn't get past the 1st few chapters. You are the 3rd person that's made me want to go back and try again. I think I will.
Have a wonderful weekend, friend.
Oh, we've done that experiment before! There is a HUGE difference without the "blubber"!
I should probably start doing some more cooking with the kids. There just doesn't seem enough time in the day to get in some "pleasure cooking". It's all about whipping something together for meals!
Those cookies are so cute. Good job.
You would die if you lived here with your allergies! I have heard many, many people say it is the worst place they have ever lived. Thankfully we don't have any problems. Hope you are feeling better. This time of year is just magical. Things blooming and growing and creatures everywhere. I just love it too. Your daughter's sewing is just awesome! Love the hands on science stuff! You always seem to do so much with your kiddos! I love reading about it each week. Happy weekend Lisa!
What a great week!!! I love hands on learning. ..it really helps it sink in when they understand when and how they will use the concepts.
My allergies are having fits as well! Makes me wish for the snow and cold again.
Isn't it funny how differently people can experience a book? I started The Shack a couple years ago and just couldn't get through it. But I've heard of a bunch of people that love it. (Bunches and bunches, since it was a bestseller!) So I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Have a great weekend!
Haha...love the quotes! We made the snickerdoodles this week and shared them with a neighbor! Yum and thanks:) Love that practical math!
Haha...love the quotes! We made the snickerdoodles this week and shared them with a neighbor! Yum and thanks:) Love that practical math!
what a very interesting week, love hearing and learning more of how the little and young ones learn.
You are awesome!
I loved your post!! I'm excited to read the rest!! I am wanting to homeschool my children when they are older, and this maes me want to do it even more!:)
I absolutely LOVE those bear cookies! Too cute! I bet they tasted delicious too!!
I love quotes. These are some fun ones. What a clever idea for making math real. I need to do more of that with mine. It looks like you guys had a wonderful week in May. :)
haha Great quotes! I love the science experiment! We love hands-on science as well! It definitely sounds like an awesome week!
Love that experiment! Tuesday night is Science experiment night at the Toliver house, and although we have lots to do with our Apologia Science, I'm always looking for new (simple!) ideas. :) (from TOS crew)
Post a Comment