Friday, May 10, 2013

Homeschool Mother's Journal/Weekly Wrap-up- May 10

These weeks are just flying by.  Perhaps it's the spring fever that has caught on in me just as much as the kiddos!  :-)

In my life/homeschool this week:  On Sunday, after church, hubby and kiddos were working outside.  It definitely warms a mama's heart to see her sons learning and doing with their dad.




Monday morning was sewing class for Kiddo #4.  She continues to work on her nightgown.  They said it should be done next week.  I am looking forward to seeing it!  :-)

On Monday afternoon, after their studies were done, I was very proud of Kiddos 1 and 2, as they headed right outside to finish the homemade trellis they started on Sunday.  I will enjoy seeing our pea plants growing on it.  :-)


On Tuesday, Kiddos 3 and 4 enjoyed doing a Science activity.  They had to differentiate between crocodilians, testodines and amphibians and put each animal or animal activity in the right column.




Our Italian teacher rescheduled our lesson, so Kiddo #1 decided to treat us to some delicious peanut butter cookies.  I think I'll definitely feature these on a future "Try a New Recipe Tuesday."


And speaking of "Try a New Recipe Tuesday," this week's not only has 71 recipes shared so far (wow!), but Kiddo #4's Buried Treasure cookies.  You can't go wrong with a Hershey Kiss buried inside.  :-)  You can see all of the recipes and more photos here.


On Wednesday, we enjoyed reading more out of our "If Animals Could Talk" book.  We are learning so much.  (did you know that blue whales gain 7.25 pounds an hour during the 7 months that they nurse?)

We also studied verb tense.  The youngers wrote sentences describing past, present and future, while the olders differentiated even further in the past tense with punctiliar(simple) action, perfect action and linear (continuous) action.  And, what would any school activity be without a really cool power point to go along with it?  ;-)



Kiddo 4 made us all chocolate biscotti.  Isn't she awesome?  They were really good.  Definitely will be for a future recipe post.  I'll save the rest of the photos until then.  :-)


On Thursday, we had classes at church and celebrated Ascension Thursday.  Kiddo #1 had Civil Air Patrol.  Their squadron is leaving for weekend in Washington, D.C tomorrow night.  How cool that they are spending two nights on Andrews Air Force Base.  Of course, Kiddo is beside himself.  They will of course, visit both Air & Space Museums.  They will also tour the monuments.  What a wonderful opportunity for them. (of course, I am a mama and will worry about their safe travels)

What I'm reading I wrote a review for TOS on "Papa's Pearls."  You can see it here.  What a sweet, heartwarming and uplifting book.  I have about a gazillion other books that I would like to finish that are stacked on my nightstand and on my Kindle.  Wish there were a few more hours in the day, lol!  :-)

What I'm praying for Just heard tonight on one of my prayer lines of a little girl named Bella.  I do not know her, nor her family, but am praying for them all.  She is 10 and has been suffering since she was 4 1/2 with stage 4 cancer.  She has had tumors in her brain, spine, abdomen, ovaries, pelvis.  It just goes on and on.  She has endured chemo most of the past 6 years and has now been placed on hospice.  Her Caring Bridge page can be found here and her FB page here.  Perhaps you can offer up a prayer for her and her family, as well.  What this child has endured is heartwrenching and her strength and courage is an inspiration.

This brings to mind something that was prevalent in the "Papa's Pearls" book-- to always be sure to tell your children how much you love them because you never know what the future may hold.  How true that is......

Linking up today with:  Homeschool Mother's JournalWeekly Wrap-UpNOBHShow-Off FridayLearn and Link and It's a WrapFriendship Friday and Friday Connection and Family Fun Friday

5 comments:

XmasDolly said...

Well, I must say you have a beautiful family and how wonderful that they all work together and have fun together so happily! Happy Mother's Day and have a wonderful Mother's Day! Hailing in from Friendship Friday.

Chris Tilley said...

I will pray for Bella and her family. No words can adequately describe the feelings they are undergoing.

My son is a two time cancer survivor. He was first diagnosed at 3 and a half. He is now 11 and has been cancer free for 5 years and off treatment for 4.

Meghan Carver said...

Sounds like a terrific week! Now I need some cookies.... :)

Carrie said...

I love to see the children working alongside their father too! I tell them to pay close attention because mama has no knowledge of all that he does around the house :0) Terrific opportunity for your son - miss living near all the fabulous sites in DC!

Karen said...

You are BLESSED to have boys that love doing handy things! Keilee and I have to get my nephew for house sort of things like that! I wish I had learned to do things like that. Peanut butter cookies are my favorite. I think your daughter likes to bake as much as Keilee does. :) Another great week Lisa!