Monday, May 20, 2013

Memoir Monday- Happy Birthday Kiddo #1

Our oldest child was born 15 years ago today after a grueling 19 hour labor.  He was 6 weeks premature.  The first minutes and hours after his birth were so scary, as they were touch and go.  Although a healthy 7 pounds 4 ounces, he was still preemie and needed a ventilator and help to breathe.  He stopped breathing after birth and was rushed away to the NICU while they worked to resuscitate him.  I will never forget those moments. Time seemed to stand still.  It couldn't be happening to our little boy.

As I sat next to the incubator all night long, holding his little hand and watching a machine breathe for him, my heart was so full of love and fear.  I spoke and sang to him; I told him about his Snoopy nursery that was home waiting for him and I prayed.  Boy, did I pray.

That baby turned out to be a fighter, strong and determined to not only win that battle, but another that would come all too soon after his birth.  When he was 4 months old, a tumor was found and the "c" word came up often as a possibility.  When being taken from us for the surgery, he was all smiles, reaching for the nurses hair and took my heart with him into the o.r.  There was much more praying that day, as well.  Although the surgery was complicated, he didn't have cancer.  What an amazing blessing and gift.  This child was special. and has turned into a very special young man.

He is calm and even tempered.  He is incredibly handsome and looks far older than 15.  He is strong, but gentle and has amazing patience with his siblings.  He volunteers weekly for our church.  He loves Civil Air Patrol and anything having to do with aviation.  If you don't know where he is, look outside.  He is there with his camera photographing airplanes.  He will tell you its origin, its destination, the make, model and airline.  He has built and flown almost every model there is, even ones with a 6 foot wingspan.  He aces every simulator he has ever attempted and even has flown a real airplane for 45 minutes.  Give him any pile of scraps and he will create a flying entity of some sort.  He has piles of sketches, designs, ideas...  And, on top of that, boy, can he bake!  ;-)

Happy Birthday, Kiddo #1!  Dad and I love you very much and are so very proud of the young man you have become.



Linking up with:  On, in and around Mondays in addition to Wisdom WednesdayLiving Well WednesdayMom's Monday MingleMonday MingleModest MomCrazy Mama, Homemaking Wednesdays and Raising Mighty Arrows and Titus 2sday and Clever Chicks Blog Hop and Memoir Monday and Mondays with Countrified Hicks and Create with Joy

16 comments:

About JollyJilly said...

That is a lovely post and hope the birthday boy has a great day.Kids grow up so fast one second they are tiny then , like mine grown and married lol.
found you via the blog hop and hope you will come and visit me at
www.jollyjillys.blogspot.com

About JollyJilly said...

happy birthday hope he has a great day. They grow up so fast lol
I enjoyed reading your post and hope you can come and visit me at
www.jollyjillys.blogspot.com

Twisted Cinderella said...

Happy Birthday to your first baby!

Chris said...

What an absolutely lovely tribute to your eldest--I love how you relayed the story of his birth and the details of his personality.

And thank you so much, Lisa, for linking to Memoir Monday.

Happy Bday to your sweetheart!

Debbie Jones said...

What a blessing from God this son is to your family. I know you are very proud of and pleased with him! Thanks for sharing these very special memories.

Carrie said...

What a lovely tribute to your son! During birth with my own, there were some complications and all of a sudden the room filled with nurses. It also got very quiet. At that moment, I didn't care about myself or my life - only the baby. I'm sure you felt the same sacrificial love during your son's first months. I look forward to hearing about his flight career one day!

Winnie said...

Very beautiful post!!
Happy Birthday to your son, and also warm blessing to you and your husband. In my family the 1st blessing is for the parents as they were the ones who received that "special gift"

Antionette Blake said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Our 3 month 2.5 lb preemie will be 21 next month - GOD IS GOOD!

Judy Hoch said...

I understand the feelings of pride and joy that come with watching a child grow up. I only wish it didn't happen quite so fast!
Happy birthday again to your son!

Judy Hoch said...

I understand the feelings of pride and joy that come with watching a child grow up. I only wish it didn't happen quite so fast!
Happy birthday again to your son!

Judy Hoch said...

I understand the feelings of pride and joy that come with watching a child grow up. I only wish it didn't happen quite so fast!
Happy birthday again to your son!

Judy Hoch said...

I understand the feelings of pride and joy that come with watching a child grow up. I only wish it didn't happen quite so fast!
Happy birthday again to your son!

momstheword said...

What a sweet tribute to your boy! Isn't it amazing watching these little babies grow up into Godly young men and women?

My two boys are 20 and 24 and it seems like yesterday they were just little ones.

I hate to quote the old cliche but they really do grow up fast.

Aloha Acres said...

What a beautiful post and a beautiful story. God is so, so good!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday to you young man!!

Tough Cookie Mommy said...

Thanks so much for linking up with us this past week for the Monday Mingle at Tough Cookie Mommy. I would love to connect on Facebook too http://facebook.com/toughcookiemommy