This past Monday was Kiddo #1's 15th birthday. I wrote a birthday tribute here, where you can read about what a wonderful young man he has become and how we almost lost him at birth. He even had a cancer scare at 4 months old.
One of the blessings of homeschool is being flexible with our schedule. I let the birthday child decide what they would like to do on their special day. So, not only am I grateful for that blessing, but for the wonderful time that we had.
The morning started with my homemade french toast and Kiddo opening his presents.
He decided he wanted to visit the U.S.S. Olympia and U.S.S. Becuna, permanently docked at Penn's Landing in Philadelphia. I haven't been there in many years. It was the first visit for all 4 Kiddos. They really enjoyed it.
The Olympia is the flagship from the Spanish American War (also served in WWI) and the submarine Becuna saw action in WWII, Korea, Vietnam and the Cold War.
How amazing to go into both, literally stepping back into time and seeing what life was like onboard these vessels. The sub was incredibly tight and it definitely shocked the kiddos that 67 enlisted men had to share 2 sinks, 2 toilets and 1 shower!
The interior of the Olympia was quite beautiful with ornate woodwork and decoration. (even carpets and a fireplace!) This ship was considered a marvel of its time. It was the first vessel ever to have refrigeration and electricity. Most people in America didn't have these at the time.
Included with admission to the vessels was admission to the Independence Seaport Museum. The history of sea-faring vessels in the area is documented in many fun, hands-on exhibits.
The afternoon continued with lunch and a visit to see Kiddo #1's godfather, who is pastor of the church where I grew up. The evening ended with Kiddo's choice of dinner-- make your own pizzas.
A wonderful day for a wonderful son! I definitely am grateful. :-)
Linking up with ,Lisa at The Army Chap's Wife, NOBH,Miscellany Monday, Raising Homemakers and Modest Mom and Raising Mighty Arrows,, Spilled Milkshake,Crafty Spices, Mom's Monday Mingle, Monday Mingle, and Just the Stuff Ya Know , the Fontenot Four and A Sorta Fairytale and Field Trip Friday

6 comments:
found you on Thankful Thursday post, what a great and wonderful son you raised. you did good mom! I always wish that when my son gets older, other parents say "oh that Anthony, he's a good kid."
Terrific day!
Happy Bday to your sweetheart!
I love that about homeschool and the direction our life has taken us: We get to decided how and when we spend these special moments together.
I've said it once, I'll say it again ... LOVE your beautiful family. Wish my sailor could have been there for those tours. He is quite the "guide". ;)
Happy birthday to your son!! Looks like he had an awesome day. :)
A terrific outing! My kiddos would have loved a trip like that as well. And happy birthday to your kiddo!
Happy birthday to your son.
Post a Comment