Tuesday, December 31, 2013

One Word for 2014




I am not a fan of "resolutions," long lists of things to do or change that are usually abandoned after the first couple of weeks.

I read about the "one word" idea last year and it appealed to me.  The choosing of just one word to apply to the new year is not only challenging, but requires much thought not only now, but throughout the months to come.  It can be applied in so many different ways in so many different situations.  It is not a inflexible list of "to-dos," rather a way to live in the upcoming year.

I chose optimism last year.  I wanted to see all things from a more positive perspective.  It was not easy.  I had to remind myself so many times to be optimistic during times of challenge or frustration.  To look at the world today can be very depressing and can turn one instantly into a pessimist.  It takes much to see all of that from an optimistic viewpoint.

This year, I am choosing indomitable.

Indomitable, you may ask?  What on earth does indomitable mean?

According to the dictionary, it means "that cannot be subdued, or overcome, as persons, will or courage, living and trusting without fear."

There it is.  Without fear.  In the Bible, the Lord tells us to "Be not afraid" or "Do not fear" many times.  I want to trust Him in all things without fear or trepidation.  I want to encompass the lyrics of Mandisa's song "Overcomer," knowing that with Him, we can do all things.  One of my favorite verses in the Bible is Philippians 4:13: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

As Christians, we are called to be indomitable.  He tells us that good will triumph in the end.  He has secured that victory for us.  His church cannot be overcome or subdued.  We are called to live in courage and trust Him without fear.

What is your one word?


Come see what my friends on the Schoolhouse Review Crew chose as their one word.  You can see the post here (after midnight!)  :-)


Word for 2014


Don't miss a thing! Subscribe to Home to 4 Kiddos by Email and get our posts sent right to your inbox!

18 comments:

Lisa M. (aka. Lisa @ Farm Fresh) said...

I love that word! What a great choice for the new year!

Deborah said...

Now that is a very cool word. Loved it. :o)

Aloha Acres said...

Oh, that's a good one. Happy New Year to you and yours. I've been MIA from blog land until recently, but I'm back. And ready to catch up on you and your sweet kiddos!

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love this! This is such a great word! My word for the year is BUILD. Thanks for being such a great blogging friend and good example. Happy New Year and God bless you all in 2014!

Chris said...

Wow,you said so many things that resonate SO with me here!

Great word, great attitude!

I felt SO defeated at the end of 2012 still dealing with and surrounded bu the devastation of Sandy all around , feeling my country failed me in November and losing many "friends" who were horrible to my kids and literally excluded them from a theater experience that they had worked toward for 5 mos, 2 weeks before the play staged bc we could not make the last few rehearsals due to gas shortage..... It was a nightmare and I feel so blessed to have gained friends such as yourself at that time in my life who are optimistic and supportive!
So thank you for this beautiful post and for sharing your thoughts and "indomitable" goal for this year!
I have many thoughts for MY word but have not settled on one just yet.....it will have to be something along the lines of focus/streamline/ rigor-with- patience in terms of attacking the curriculum, yet maintaining love of learning...... Don't know that I'll write a post for it, but at least I have a few thoughts in the "right"direction!
Thanks for the encouragement, friend
Happy and Peaceful New Year to you and your family!

Leah Courtney said...

That's a great word of the year! And it is important to remember that by God's grace we can be indomitable!

Unknown said...

Perfect word! Thanks for sharing!

Angela Pea said...

That is, as my Mom would say, a two-nickel word! Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Great word.
Fierce. Strong. Brave.
Happy New Year.
Blessings,
Emily

Jennifer said...

Without fear- living out a command!

Unknown said...

Wow! That is setting a great standard for 2014. Awesome! I cannot wait to see how this year unfolds for you as you focus on being "Indomitable" in your daily walk. My word for the year is support. I want to be more supportive genuinely among my family, friends and various outreaches.

TaMara Sloan said...

That is a great word! I need to live my life more without that spirit of fear that so often seems to take over. Happy New Year!

kewkew said...

I never knew what indomitable meant. What a great word to pick for 2014.
Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Awesome choice! It will be fun to see how your word guides you this year.

Mamal Diane said...

I love your word...especially the meaning of it. Great idea one word...I plan on being Fearless from this day froward, your word is cooler though. Lol! Happy New Year! May 2014 be your best year yet!

Unknown said...

What a great word choice! Thank you for linking up at the Hearts for Home blog hop!

Unknown said...

This word is great and so fitting. One of my favorite bible verses is 2 Timothy 1:7, for God did not not give us the spirit of fear, but one of power, love, and self-discipline. This verse is very fitting for your word! Stopping in from Michelle's link up! Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

Great word! My word for the year is FAITH.
Thanks for sharing at Essential Fridays.
Blessings
Mel from Essential Thing Devotions