Yesterday, our local Nature Center offered a Pond Study class for homeschoolers. It was really terrific. The class started with a visit to the pond and the kids each getting a chance to use their nets to see what kind of life they could find. They found snails, shrimp, leeches and a host of other "critters." They used a guide to identify each one. The next stop was a classroom back at the museum where they each had samples of the pond water and microscopes so they could look at microscopic life. They were absolutely enthralled and engaged with this activity! When the teacher put up a living and eating water flea under his microscope that was connected to the smart board, the kids were amazed. (I have to admit, it was pretty cool to see that all myself) We, of course, spent some time visiting the various wildlife inside the center before heading home.
I am definitely thankful for the response I got to yesterday's Motherhood post. Wow. I am humbled and am glad that I could touch others with my thoughts and words. I am also thankful for opportunities like that at the Nature Center. How wonderful that my children could not only spend time with their friends, but be learning in a fun and hands-on environment and loving every minute of it. It doesn't get any better than that!
Linking up today with Look! What we Did and Thankful Thursday.
6 comments:
Aren't learning opportunities like this the best?! I think kids do some of their best learning when they are out and about in nature, getting their hands dirty :)
Thanks for linking with Look What We Did!
This pond class looks like such fun. I seriously wish I could take everyone's opportunities and make the magically appear here, where I live. Keilee and I would both love this one. Nature and Science...perfect combination.
How wonderful! We have spent a lot of time outdoors soaking up all the wonders of His creation. This morning we had to stop and observe a worm inching his way across the sidewalk. The girls were fascinated! I love this age!!
We have a creek in our back yard...it's always interesting when I endup with new pets in the house!!! Love your post!!
Great post, Lisa! Love the pond class idea! we had a huge rain yesterday and my boy loves his job of relocating all the worms that wind up on our driveway as a result. He moves them to my rain flower bed :)
Cool opportunity! Something great to be thankful for!
Post a Comment