He really wanted an apple pie for his birthday "cake" :-)
Although a whopping size for a preemie (7lbs 4oz.) (Our subsequent full-term babies were all close to 11 pounds), he needed to be on a respirator as his lungs weren't quite ready. Sitting by his incubator all night long, I could never envision that this little boy, needing help to breathe, would grow to be 6 feet tall before his 14th birthday. I had no idea what the future would hold. I just wanted to hold my little boy.
He overcame a lot of obstacles his first year of life, from allergies to surgery, but grew, thrived and was a happy little guy. He brought joy to everyone.
He has been an amazing kid-- funny, creative, smart, kind and an awesome big brother to 3 siblings from the time he was 5 1/2.
Now, as he towers over me, loves all things airplane, and is starting to consider options for his future, I feel like I'm looking into that incubator once again-- I'm not sure what the future will bring, but I am so grateful to still be able to hold my now big boy, even if for a short time more.....





11 comments:
I loved reading this, Lisa! Wow, six feet tall at 14! I won't allow myself to dream too far into the future with my son (too heart-wrenching to think of him that tall or that old yet :) Thank you for sharing your son with us! Will he become a pilot perhaps?
Tears, Lisa. Sometimes I look at my own 9yo and wonder who he is! How did he get here? HA! It is so awesome to see his personality start to appear, like your son's interest in airplanes. It makes me excited to think about what my boys will become, but I can't think about it too much or it makes me cry! Anyway, it doesn't get more meaningful than that! Perfect! Thanks for sharing linking up!
Wow! Fourteen is going to be here before we know it for us too. I will treasure each day I have with my girls! Love the photos of your son...what a cute baby (and handsome young man). I know he is a blessing to your family.
Happy birthday to your son! Way to go to you. I am excited to stumble upon another Catholic, homeschooling, blogging mama:) I want to try some of your links.
Wow, happy birthday to your son. He is certainly a fine, handsome young man. My son, almost 16, also loves airplanes and anything to do with them. Congrats on raising a fine teenager!
Happy birthday to such an amazing son! Isn't God amazing - to know that He had plans for your little one, even in the midst of such a scary start to life.
Enjoy!!
Hi, nice to see you again. I stopped over from Michelle's site.
What fun to savor your oldest son's birthday. I grinned at your lines about him towering over you and yet you still being able to hold him too. It resonates with me and my oldest son -- a 17 year old too. They are a treasure, huh?
Jennnifer Dougan
www.jenniferdougan.com
Happy 14th birthday. Wow. I hope this is a wonderful year for him. I love all the pictures of him from baby to almost man!
Happy birthday! I'm with him, pie is way better than cake. :)
happy birthday, and wow, 14!! it is incredible how fast they seem to grow!
love this post lisa. my son will be 14 in 4 months, can't believe it. great photos! hope he had a very happy celebration :)
Post a Comment