Friday, May 18, 2012

Homeschool Mother's Journal/Weekly Wrap-Up May 18

In my life/homeschool this week: Mother's Day was wonderful.  What a beautiful day to spend with my family.  I shared about it here.


On Monday, we began the Chimpanzee study that I downloaded after seeing the film on Mother's Day.  I highly recommend both the film and the educational materials.  We are learning quite a bit!  You can download them here.  There was also music lessons for the kiddos (piano for Kiddos 2, 3 and 4 and guitar for Kiddo 1)


Another rainy Tuesday meant no baseball.  After more work on our Chimpanzee projects, the kiddos asked if they could substitute bowling this week with watching the Phillies game together.  It was an afternoon game and fell right during the time we'd be bowling.  We had fun watching and cheering our team to victory.  :-)

I also posted by weekly recipe link-up.  There were a lot of good recipes shared this week.  I shared our new coffee cake recipe that went over really well. (like completely consumed in minutes well, lol)



Wednesday brought more Chimpanzee lessons.  It is wonderful that the educator's guide contains lessons for all different age groups.  For example, while they all were figuring out how to get a chimp from point a to point b with a 1.5 meter arm span, the olders were also asked to determine if each angle the chimp made was obtuse, acute or right and to measure each. 


On Ascension Thursday, we had a light schedule.  We talked about the Lord's Ascension and everyone worked on their power point presentations.  We went to church in the afternoon with our classes and Kiddo #1 had his Civil Air Patrol meeting in the evening.  He is really loving it, even though he is hurting this week from running a mile, playing frisbee football and doing pt.  :-)

I also posted my Thankful Thursday post.  It is amazing how the smallest little things become the most precious when we learn to appreciate them.



On Friday, we are planning on helping setup for our church's flea market which is being held this weekend.  It is always fun working together with the other families that we have gotten to know really well through our parish retreat to get it all ready.  The flea market benefits our parish retreat, so every family tries to do their part, whether it is setting up, working it, cleaning up, etc.  This year we are also doing a bake sale.  So, I guess baking will also be on the agenda for Friday, lol.  :-)

What I'm reading: 31 Days to Clean: Having a Martha House the Mary Way, A Mother's Rule of Life.  I'm also participating in an online Bible study that I am enjoying very much.

What I'm praying for: our nation, our servicemen and women, people who are ill or suffering....


A photo or quote to share:


Kiddo #3 left this on my pillow Wednesday night.  :-)

"Mothers hold their children's hands for a short while, but their hearts forever. "--unknown
"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."--Henry Ward Beecher
"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother."--Lin Yutang

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Aw! Look at those sweet homemade Mother's Day cards! Aren't those the best? :D

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your posts. I want to download that ebook about the Martha house. I keep meaning to link up for your recipe posts! We have my aunt's birthday party tomorrow and then things should calm down so I will be able to link up!

Jennifer said...

I'm going to have to look for that book! The idea of "having a Martha House in a Mary way" is very appealing to me.

Karen said...

Great week Lisa. Busy as always. I love those homemade cards. I got one too. That quote you put about 'holding their hearts forever' is one of the FEW things I ever cross stitched for my Mom. It is hanging in my kitchen right now :)

Hope your yard sale goes great!!

Mary said...

Love the Mother's Day cards. I haven't seen Chimpanzee yet, but we are going to. I am guessing I will need to bring Kleenex with me?

Lisa- I saw your comment on my blog and we actually ARE going to be in Philadelphia for 2-3 days to see the Liberty Bell, Constitution Center, Independence Hall and whatever else we have time to see!

Judy Hoch said...

Your Mother's Day picture is so nice!
And I know my son would sympathize about the after-effects of PT! :-)

Unknown said...

Another fun filled week :) I read 31 Days a few months ago, but was just thinking that I should pull it out again! thanks for the reminder!

mel said...

I was just looking more closely at your header photos...I love the one on the right, and noticed how red faced your oldest is down at the bottom, hehe...

Debbie Jones said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I am now your newest follower! As a public school teacher, I so understand and admire parents who homeschool. I applaud you. The book you are reading sounds very interesting...I will look for that one. Also, you said your son is in Civil Air Patrol. My oldest was also in that when she was in high school. She loved it. She is now a married mom with two kids and is active duty in the Navy. My youngest son is in Jr. ROTC at his high school. Sounds like we have much in common. I will look forward to following your blog!

Heidi said...

We still want to see the Chimp movie. Thanks for sharing the extra resources with us over at NOBH!