Friday, May 4, 2012

Homeschool Mother's Journal/Weekly Wrap-Up May 4th

Spring Fever, along with May, is here.  The weather, is more like February/March, with a frost watch every night, but that has not stopped the "fever."  lol.  :-)

In my life/homeschool this week: Monday was a Homeschool Chemistry program at our local library.  The kids got to make and taste their own soda and grow crystals.  I even got to visit the book sale and everything was half-price!  ;-)  You can see lots more pictures and read more about how much fun the kiddos had here.



On Tuesday, I took Kiddo #4 to the hair salon for a trial run with her veil.  She is making her First Holy Communion this coming Saturday.  We are all very excited.  I also took her to Sears for her portraits.  She looked so beautiful.  Our little girl is growing up too fast.  :-)



I also hosted my weekly recipe linkup.  A lot of great recipes were posted this week.  You can see them all here.

On Wednesday, our local Nature Center hosted a homeschool Pond Study class.  The kids were able to do exploration and learning at both the pond and in the classroom with microscopes.  It was an awesome experience and I was lucky to get some great photos of the different "creatures."  I posted all about it here




Also on Wednesday, I was blessed to post my segment in a blog series on Motherhood.  I was honored to be asked to participate and have been very touched by the response to the post.

On Thursday, we learned about Mozart.  We studied Handel and Bach earlier in the week.  I found an awesome resource for free on various composers.  They are from the Gutenberg Press and teachers and homeschoolers are welcome to download and use them for their students/children.  They are make and take books on various composers.  There was a lot of great information on Mozart in addition to 13 photos that the kids were able to cut out and paste into their "books."  While doing this, we listened to various pieces of his work.  I continue to be marveled at the extent of Mozart's genius (he has always been my personal favorite)-- composing his first works at 4 years old.  We looked at those "original" works and they are really challenging!



Kiddo #4 also had her weekly sewing lesson and we had classes at church in the afternoon.

Friday will be filled with last-minute preparations for Saturday.  I look forward to posting pictures of Kiddo #4's special day next week.

What I'm reading: 31 Days to Clean: Having a Martha House the Mary Way

My favorite resource this week: See above about the free books about musicians.  The kids just loved reading and discussing Mozart.  I look forward to introducing the others in the series.  :-)

A favorite quote or photo to share:  "I am beginning to suspect all elaborate and special systems of education. They seem to me to be built upon the supposition that every child is a kind of idiot who must taught to think." - Anne Sullivan

"I learned most, not from those who taught me but from those who talked with me." - St. Augustine

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." - Albert Einstein

"Knowledge which is acquired under compulsion has no hold on the mind. Therefore do not use compulsion, but let early education be rather a sort of amusement; this will better enable you to find out the natural bent of the child." - Plato


a closeup of some of the leaves on the pond


17 comments:

Unknown said...

Lisa, another busy, creative week at your house! Our middle daughter does her First Holy Communion next weekend, your daughter is beautiful and I hope she has a wonderful day :) I love that Anne Sullivan quote, I have it at the bottom of my blog as a reminder. Have a great weekend!

Jen said...

Sounds like a wonderful week and congrats to your little one ! She is beautiful! Hope you have a wonderful weekend and I will have to check out that composer's study. :)

gail said...

such great local classes/activities for homeschoolers in your area! your daughter looks so beautiful :)

Unknown said...

As always you have had a wonderful week and shared beautiful pictures. All the very best to your daughter when she makes her first Holy Communion tomorrow. She looks lovely in her dress and veil. Mozart was indeed awesome! Imagine to be so good from the age of 4! Your weekend is going to be great and I am happy to inform you that I also have some good news as I have just passed on 2 awards to you! Take care.

Becca said...

Excellent quotes!

Unknown said...

Another full, fun week at your house, huh? And no bowling? LOL

Your daughter's photos are beautiful!

It's so great that you have such varied, hands on activities! I need to work on getting more Art and Music in! Perhaps next year?

Karen said...

Lisa what a great week. Look at that beautiful girl. I LOVE that picture even with the "Sears" logo on it. :)

I am so jealous of your libraries great resources for HSers! The Chemistry program sounds like a ball.

Hope you and your family have an awesome weekend friend!

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

I like your quotes, and your daughter does look pretty. Mine are growing up fast, too!!!

Anonymous said...

Looks like another great week! I love the Communion photos!

Mary said...

The Chemistry program at the library looks neat. Beautiful First Communion photo - brings back memories of mine - I loved the dress!

Anonymous said...

Your DD looks so beautiful! How exciting, her first communion. Sounds like you have been doing some fun things. I love your quotes! Have you ever checked into the Getting to Know the World's Greatest Composers series? It is wonderful. I check them out at my library.

RachelT said...

Those are great quotes! Your daughter's portraits are pretty and I am sure you will treasure them. Just stopping by from THMJ. Have a great week!

Unknown said...

What a fantastic week! The pictures of your daughter are beautiful :)

Kara Chupp said...

Always enjoy seeing what your crew is up to :)
The photos of your daughter are really fun!
Thanks for sharing over at NOBH
~Kara @ The Chuppies

Michelle said...

I have a quote fetish and enjoyed reading yours very much.

I found you on the Hip Homeschool Hop. Come see us at Layers of Learning.

Michelle said...

I have a quote fetish and enjoyed reading yours. It's exciting to watch your children make their religious journey, isn't it? Your daughter is beautiful.

I found you on the Hip Homeschool Hop. Come visit us at www.Layers-of-Learning.com.

Melissa N. said...

Great week! So many children are making their communions this weekend around here...8) Love this time of year!