Monday, April 30, 2012

Make Life Meaningful Monday- April 30

My children participated in a wonderful program at the library today.  We just love the library!  They offered a program for homeschoolers today by Mad Science.  It was entitled "Che-Mystery."  :-)

They learned about substances, chemical vs. physical changes and acids vs. bases.  They got to witness different types of changes (my favorite was the packing peanuts getting literally decimated by acetone!)

They made (and taste-tested) their own soda and also grew their own crystals.







And, the best part was that it was free!  Yay!  :-)  It is wonderful to be able to take part in such programs and have a good learning experience.  The librarian said the response was overwhelming.  They ran two sessions and both had wait lists!  My kids were happy to see a lot of friends in the room and had fun learning together.  And, I got to take advantage of the half-price book sale, as well!  ;-)

I am linking up today, as I do every Monday, with Michelle at Make Life Meaningful Monday.

7 comments:

Mrs. Nerdy said...

I was just looking at a recipe to make soda for a fun science activity.

I love low cost/free educational events! Looks like you all had a blast.

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa,
The kids certainly had an interesting time at the library! I like the title - "Che-Mystery!":) Cool idea! Take care and have a good week.
Judy

Michelle @ Changed By The Maker said...

I can't believe OUR library hasn't done anything like that! They have lots of programs but none directed toward homeschoolers. Seems like that would something they would want to do, but I have, at times, felt like there was a bit of animosity toward homeschoolers from the library staff. One of them used to be a classroom teacher, and she has made a couple of comments.

I'm thinking I should put this idea out there to them. They are always trying to bring in the community, why not homeschoolers?

Thanks for linking up with me Lisa!

Carrie said...

Ooh, I'd love to hear about growing your own crystals! I checked out a couple of books to do just that with my youngest daughter :)

Unknown said...

That is awesome - what a great resource!!

Karen said...

Is this a homeschool class? I am just so mad that our library doesn't offer homeschool events. Why not!!!??? This looks like such fun.

Nicole Religioso said...

Wow! Looks like it was a great turnout! You must have an awesome homeschool community huh?