It is difficult for children, or anyone for that matter, to really understand and appreciate how difficult life was for the original settlers that came to these lands. An "average" size log home that was built during the early years would be about 16 x 21 feet. In that space, an entire family had to sleep, eat, live and do chores. So, the task was given that each of their homes had to have a sleeping place for all 6 members, somewhere for them to eat and sit in addition to at least one chest to store items in. There also had to be a large fireplace for heat and cooking.
They put a lot of thought and effort into the project. They were amazed that they "fit" everything in with room to spare. I think it taught them important lessons, not only about what life was like for the settlers that came to America, but about ourselves-- how much room and "things" we take for granted and that much of our "stuff" is really not necessary for survival. Living quarters like that would not be comfortable by our standards, but the people who endured it, not only made the best of it, they thrived and set the standard for work, values and faith that shaped the formation of our nation.
Happy to be linking up today with Look! What we Did! :-)
9 comments:
Gosh Lisa, I LOVE this. What a great idea. I will save this idea for Keilee.
This is a great idea!! I bet Sophie would be all over this is a few years :)
I love it! We taped a rectangle on the floor in those dimensions. It's pretty eye opening to see how small those early homes were.
I LOVE this idea!! You always come up with such great ideas!!! I want to try this myself!
This is a great idea! We will be doing colonial times this coming year and I am definitly going to use this. I also love what PrairieJenn said about taping the dimensions on the floor. I think we might chalk them onto the driveway and then try to construct furniture out of cardboard or something to see how much/little really fits. Thanks for sharing with everyone over at NOBH!
I remind myself of this every time my house feels to small,lol.
pinned it! thanks for linking with look what we did!
Hi Lisa,
You certainly come up with some great ideas for lessons - interesting History lesson and a lesson in faith. Thanks for sharing on Creative Monday.
Judy
What a great way for kids to learn and to fire up their imagination. Here in England families of 5 or more used to live and work on the canals in a narrowboat cabin about 6 feet wide by 10 feet long. We live on board now and find storage space a challenge!
Post a Comment