Sunday, April 15, 2012

Make Life Meaningful Monday- April 16

All of the firestorm over the political "strategist's" comments about stay-at-home moms not working has really gotten to me.  In fact, I was encouraged by some friends on Facebook to post the comments I made there here on my blog.  They were so kind to tell me that they were eloquent and a wonderful platform for stay-at-home and homeschooling mothers.  I don't know about that, but I do know that it is something that I am definitely passionate about and something and is attacking something that has made my life all the more meaningful.


Here are some of the the things I wrote: 

"A democratic analyst told Ann Romney that she never worked a day in her life. I invite that analyst to come into my home for one day, just one day, and she will see that I work harder and longer than I ever did outside of the home. How dare she? I am doing the best kind of work, the most undervalued and disrespected and yet the most important. I am absolutely incensed about this!"

and this:

"What was once the most noble and respected of all professions on the face of the planet has now become "not good enough" and somehow substandard. It is an incredible gift and blessing that God has given us to give birth and raise children. He willed for His only Son to be born of a woman and raised in a family. (by a stay-at-home and homeschooling mom, by the way! lol) If it was good enough for the Word made Flesh, the Son of God Himself, and His Mother, who are we to say otherwise? If I can share somewhat in His upbringing by emulating that in my own home, I am blessed, not cursed! It is an incredible vocation and task to fulfill (and a whole lot of work!), and I will do it to the best of my ability, with His Grace. "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."

May those who have attacked motherhood (and in essence the very mothers who sacrificed to raise them) realize that true success is not measured by wealth, trophies or large, expensive homes or cars.  If this was indeed the case, Jesus, Mary and Joseph would be considered failures, wouldn't they?  They were not wealthy, did not have a large home or many possessions.  But they had each other and their God; they all worked hard to make their family succeed in what counted: love and faith.  That is what truly makes life meaningful.  Without that, what else even matters?






I am linking up today with Michelle at Changed by the Maker.

5 comments:

Michelle @ Changed By The Maker said...

I did not hear about the comments you referenced, Lisa, but it is just sad. I wouldn't trade my homeschool-mom job for anything, and I've worked a lot of different jobs before this one! There is nothing like it for peace in my life and in the life of my children.

Thanks for linking up with me, Lisa! Have a blessed, though busy (I'm sure) week! And God bless your mothering!

Jessica G said...

I didn't hear the comments either, but I do appreciate what you said, and you said it beautifully. We have the best job in the world. I wouldn't trade my job for anything. :-)

Carrie said...

Oh, yes - those comments incensed a lot of mothers, I'm sure! Me too. It's the old lie fabricated by the feminist movement that women were held back by domineering husbands and deserved to go out into the "workplace" and be treated as equals. I honestly believe we're beginning to reap the effects of the 60s. Life becomes beautifully simple if we remain rooted in the Bible's teachings and learn to honor God's creation of the family. And to recognize children as blessings not burdens. I appreciate your frankness (and courage) for posting your comments. Blessings to you!

Anonymous said...

I have some really strong opinions on this. it really bothers me that mothering is seen as "not good enough"...sometimes i wonder if that is why bullying is so out of control and kids are walking into schools with guns..maybe if more people thought mothering was worth while the world would be a better place.

mel said...

Ha! Yeah, I've been busy "not working" since 6:30 this morning. I joke around about how at work I at least got a lunch break. :)