Friday, April 20, 2012

Homeschool Mother's Journal/Weekly Wrap-Up April 20

In my life/homeschool this week: On Friday afternoon, we visited the library and took out some more books for our Powerpoint book reports.  Of course, I had to visit the used book sale while I was there, lol.  I found books for the kiddos, my mom and myself, all for about $4.50!  :-)




On Saturday, Kiddo #1 made dinner and dessert.  I posted about this and other helpful things that the other kiddos have done this week on my Thankful Thursday post here.



Monday had all of the kiddos having their music lessons and Kiddos 1 and 2 in their dissection class.  There is only one more week!  They dissected a frog this week.




Tuesday was the first day of the kiddos' homeschool baseball league.  It will last for 6 weeks.  The kids had a great time and did really well!  :-)




On Wednesday, Kiddos 1 and 2 did a special history project I put together.  They "designed" their own colonial homes.  They had the challenge of creating a liveable, workable space for their entire family in a cabin that was no bigger than 16 x 21 feet.  You can see more pics and read all about it here.

Thursday was an AWESOME day!  The Franklin Institute museum offers monthly classes for homeschooled students.  The kiddos had a blast and learned so much!  The topic this month was Earth Science.  They put crayons through the rock cycle, learned about the different types of rock, erosion, volcanoes, and the list can go on.  We are really looking forward to attending next month for the chemistry themed program.  And, as an added bonus, they got to welcomed by Ben Franklin himself, who was quite impressed when Kiddo 4 starting listing all of his accomplishments to him.  :-)






What I am reading: A Mother's Rule of Life and 31 Days to Clean: getting a Martha house the Mary Way

What is working: Definitely hands-on programs like the Franklin Institute and the history project I did this week

A quote or photo to share: "Childhood is not preparation for adulthood - it is a part of life." - A. Neill
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." - William Butler Yeats


The kids had to design a way to save their "houses" from getting washed away from mudslides/erosion.  :-)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I had no idea the Franklin Institute does that - how cool!!

Anonymous said...

wow! that is some close-up of frog guts! lol

you always come up with such great projects and ways to really cement the concepts! you are such an inspiration!

Unknown said...

Lots of helpful ideas for a mom considering homeschooling! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Very interesting post with lovely pictures as always Lisa. Your children certainly have a good time learning. I have tagged you in my latest post. If you wish to and when you have the time you can have a go at it. Take care and I wish you and your family a wonderful weekend.

Karen said...

What a great week! I am with Theresa, that is some up close and personal frog guts! :)

The classes at the Franklin sound amazing. I do wish we lived a little closer to a larger town with more to offer. Or gas wasn't over $4 a gallon so I could afford to drive further!!

That cake looks really yummy and I know the kids will enjoy the homeschool baseball league. We don't have anything like that either.

Happy weekend Lisa!

Unknown said...

I think it's really neat that your oldest does so much cooking for the family. What a great skill to share with his family!

You're projects are wonderful! I love the idea of making their own home based on needs and size. I bet that was a challenge! And the eroding experiment is pretty cool too!

Unknown said...

These are like the best ideas ever- looks like another great week! Hope you can join me for some great tips on incorporating the bible into your studies - I think you'll really like it - there are many other speakers - (of course I'm plugging myself - I can use all the support I can get ;)

Mary said...

Great ideas- I especially like the designing a colonial home project.

Anonymous said...

Great week:) Love all of your action photos, as always. I could not figure out what that one close-up was...then I read the words...the inside of a frog?! Gross!

Love the last quote you shared- I was just thinking of sharing the same quote. It's one of my favorites:)

Sharla said...

The museum trip looks great! Sounds like a productive week. That frog dissection picture is pretty graphic!!!

Mrs. Nerdy said...

Lisa, I think I say this all the time. But, I am pretty sure we live within an hour of you?

I have been horrible at keeping up with blogs. I sat this morning in my jammies and with can of pepsi in hand and caught up with yours. You do such a great job homeschooling. You are an inspiration to me!

Have a good weekend!