Monday was Halloween. We made Pumpkin Prayer projects and kept our focus on the fact that the holiday really means the evening before All Saints' Day. My husband and I did take them trick or treating, but their costumes are always modest and not scary/ghoulish in any way. You can see the photos here.
Tuesday was an off day for us and we got some baking and other fun things done around the house. I made Italian pizzelles. I am the last person on both sides of my family to do this. My grandmothers have both passed away. Making them is very laborious (only 2 at a time!), but everyone really enjoys them. I made them for our special celebration coming up next week.
On Wednesday, kiddos #3 and 4 were learning about domesticated and wild dogs in their Apologia Zoology class. They made puppets of both.
Thursday morning found us doing some virtues and geography work. We had classes at Church and I went from teaching there to teaching my class at the university.
On Friday, we continued our geography study. The kids worked on their maps and took out a capital and state matching activity I made.
Kiddo #2, who is so incredibly gifted with technology and math tells me that he can make the others a "surprise" that will help reinforce the geography lesson we did. In just a few minutes, he put together an amazing powerpoint, that no only showed each state that we learned, it included each capital and a sample license plate. I am so grateful for him! What an awesome way to finish up the lesson. He is now "hired" to do the same for the rest of the U.S.! :-)
We will end early today since Fridays are our "light" days and do some more baking. I think we will do some dove shaped sugar cookies and apple cookies (since we still have lots of apples left from the orchard!) :-)
What I'm reading: I am continuing the 1 John Bible study and have started the Proverbs study with Mom's Toolbox for November. I am enjoying reading a Proverb a day in addition to the verses in 1 John.
I'm grateful for: My husband getting a lot of overtime and his wonderful attitude even though he is exhausted after working 12-13 hours everyday!
What I'm cooking: I made pizzelles this week and we will do some more baking today. As for regular cooking, this week we have had sausage and peppers and a ham and potato casserole.
I'm praying for: A lot of personal intentions, for the intentions of friends and family, as well....
A quote or picture to share: “As you read my stories of long ago I hope you will remember that the things that are truly worthwhile and that will give you happiness are the same now as they were then. Courage and kindness, loyalty, truth, and helpfulness are always the same and always needed.” -- Laura Ingalls Wilder




15 comments:
What a fun week :) How amazing that your son can whip up powerpoint!!
aww- cute kiddos- I'm doing the Proverbs with Mom's Toolbox thing too!
What a gifted son you have! Terrific way to reinforce the states and capitals!
Your pizzelles are beautiful! I am always drawn to foods that are intricately lovely like that because I know they were time consuming. Way to go on the power point - very nice!!!
Laura Ingalls Wilder was one of my favorite authors in the world when I was a girl, but I don't remember having read that quote. It's lovely! You all had a fun, productive week -- it's very inspiring. :-)
Your son is very talented. That's awesome!
Wow! Can I hire him too? LOL What a great way to learn some information AND help others learn too! He should be very proud of his efforts! (And Mom too! LOL)
Cute Apologia puppets!
Thanks for stopping by and your kind comments about my photography! I try. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. LOL
Great job your son did with the power point. Review for him while helping the others reinforce their learning. I know you are proud of them all.
Those pizzelles look amazing! I had never heard of that before...going to go look that up!
Those pizzelles? are beautiful...I've never seen anything like that before.
Thank you for sharing over at NOBH..
~Kara @ The Chuppies
Growing up, I used to visit an Italian friend who lived on the next street. I loved it when her mom made pizzelles:) What memories your photo brought back!
My husband is working 12-13 hours a day too - and still has a good attitude :)
How did you make the state and capital matching? How do you use it? We are studying states and capitals too! i would love to do something like that!!
Also, I Love the pizzelles! (I am Italian too!)
And maybe we can ask Aurie to meet us in December! She lives near us too!
Hi Lisa,
You certainly know how to make learning interesting for kids. I enjoyed reading this post and seeing the lovely pictures. You have a gifted son. Take care and have another wonderful week.
Judy
Love the pizzelles--they are beautiful. Do they taste as good as they look? Can you tell I'm not Italian? I also am going to look into that Proverbs with Mom's Toolbox. Thanks!
I just saw your blog at the Homeschool Blog Awards and decided to come check you out.
My Grandma always makes pizzelles every year for Christmas & I always wondered how they looked so pretty - loved seeing your iron!
I am your newest follower and would love for you to follow me back, if you want to =-)
Beth
www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com
Post a Comment