Wednesday, September 25, 2013

TOS Review- Video Text Interactive Algebra

Today I am reviewing Algebra: A Complete Course from VideoText Interactive.


On of the first things that people ask when they hear that I am homeschooling 2 high schoolers is "how do you teach the math?"  Being a homeschool mom, I tell them, isn't about teaching every subject necessarily, it is about finding the best ways for your children to learn and the best programs or offerings to accomplish that successfully.

VideoText Interactive's Algebra program is a complete course that encompasses Pre-Algebra, Algebra I and Algebra II.  They explain it very well or on the website, but I will paraphrase and say that it is a mastery approach rather than a spiral one.  Their material is presented logically and the student is taught the hows and whys.  When the program is completed, the child can be issued credit for all 3 courses. (Pre-Algebra, Algebra I and Algebra II)  I would strongly suggest reading the rationale for the development of the course in such a way.  The research and experience of the developer is quite impressive.

The complete course looks like this:

  • 176 video lessons (5-10 minutes each)
  • Course notes - reiterate what was in each lesson
  • Student Work Text - examples and exercises
  • Solutions
  • Progress Tests

The program is user-friendly and interactive.  It is meant to be a full curriculum, but since Kiddos 1 and 2 were already enrolled in and taking an online Algebra II class, we used it as a supplement, reinforcing the material they were already learning. 

Each day, the boys would watch the video and do problems from the worksheet that I printed from the site.  They checked their work and were ready for a quiz the next day.  The videos were well-done, with the sound and visuals easy to understand.  The course notes and even the solutions give step by step explanations as to how a particular answer is achieved, not just the right and wrong response.


The product made life much easier for me, providing packing guides, scope and sequence and progress checklists (these were enormously helpful!)  I even printed graph paper from the site.  :-)

The program is recommended for grades 8-12, but if your child shows readiness a bit younger, than I would watch this video by the developer of the program:


Each child (the purchase price includes an account for 2 children for 3 years.  Additional students can be added at a later date for $49) has their own account and login, as does the parent.  The parent can view progress, quizzes, and even the answers at any time.

The online price (we used the online version) for the complete course is $299, but keep in mind that you would be purchasing a 3-year math program for that cost.

VideoText Interactive also offers a complete Geometry program (which includes Geometry, Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus!).  Some of my colleagues reviewed the Algebra and others reviewed the Geometry. Click below to read their reviews.


Photobucket

Don't miss a thing! Subscribe to Home to 4 Kiddos by Email and get our posts sent right to your inbox!

No comments: