Kiddo #2, who is almost 14 and very interested in all things computer related, was happy to give it a try.
Luckilly, he doesn't overwhelm as easily as I do, as just the idea of computer programming of any kind coupled with a 234-page instruction manual would scare me away. Not this kid. :-)
Each chapter takes the student through the process incrementally and explains each step in detail. There are also tests to ensure that they are mastering the material. I love the fact that there is no programming experience at all required, just an eagerness to learn. Kiddo never really had to come to me with any questions. It was all laid out and explained so well for him in the course! But if he did, there are files for the parent, complete solution guides to test questions and a help desk that is always ready to assist with questions or concerns.
It is hands-on and self-guided, two things that Kiddo said made the product get a "thumbs-up" from him. And to see a young man eager and interested in a course and asking for the 2nd half definitely earn it a "thumbs-up" from this mom, as well. :-) That 2nd half, entitled "Advanced Web Design" is due out in August. The company states that it is for students in grades 4-12, just like the Beginning Course. I myself would not attempt this with a child at the lower end of the range, as I think it is a bit more advanced than that, especially with an instruction book of over 200 pages and at the technical content of the coruse itself. I would personally recommend it for junior high and high school students.
You can click here for a demonstration video to see it for yourself.
The students get to make a website on raptors as they learn how to write HTML code. What a good and necessary skill to have in today's world! I am looking forward to Kiddo #1 taking the course, as well. I think it will be amazing that both of my sons will be proficient in producing code while still in high school. I recently read that executives at both Microsoft and Google were lamenting the fact that many of their applicants do not have these skills and if they did, they would probably be hired on the spot. Good to know!
There is now a DVD component of the program available, which I think will be a priceless tool for those who are visual learners. It just came out this past week and it looks very well done.
Some of the topics included in the course (beginner and advanced):
Website layouts and files
Using Symbols and Lists
Styling of text
Internal and External hyperlinks
Using Komodo Edit
HTML 5
Presentation Layers
Essential HTML symbols
Document Object Model (DOM)
Using borders
Introductory Java Script
Cascading Style Sheets (CSS3)
jQuery
Animations and Video
Using Forms
Beginning Web Design (course only)- $70
Beginning Web Design (course and video)- $85
Beginning Web Design (video only)- $20
Web Year Pack (entire course, both beginner and advanced)
Courses only- $120
Courses and video- $145
Videos only- $30
Beginning Web Design works on both PCs and MAC computers and there is not anything else (software, etc.) to buy. Everything that is needed comes in the package.
There is nothing like seeing the smile on your child's face and their sense of satisfaction when they are able to accomplish something, and in this case, putting together a basic web page. I can't wait to be able to have the time to do the lessons myself, as I would love to be able to actually understand what some of the code means when I am making a blog button or making adjustments on the blog. :-)





No comments:
Post a Comment