Who wouldn't benefit from saving money on their grocery bills? I know we sure can, so I was excited to get chosen for this review.
Christi, the Coupon Coach, a homeschooling mom of 4, wrote her book to help those of us who find couponing a bit daunting, but really want and need to cut back on grocery spending especially in this economy. The book gives step by step guidelines on how to implement her approach and save money on the items used daily. I like that the book is focused not on "extreme" couponing, but practical everyday couponing.
Although in my family we truly try to stay away from a diet filled with processed foods (thus having to forego a lot of coupons), I was able to benefit and save some money from what I learned from this book. Looking for sales at stores which also double coupons was a huge one for me! With just a little organization and a little planning in advance, some serious money can be saved. I give two examples below of just how I did that and not only saved money, but in one circumstance, actually made a few cents (and went home with groceries!)
For example, we use Welch's all-natural jelly. I knew ahead of time (by researching the upcoming specials) that they were going to be on sale. While I didn't buy a dozen newspapers, I used an online coupon service and bought a bunch of them for only .08 cents a piece! (far cheaper than the papers)
Here's the best part-- the jelly was on sale for $1.49. I now had .75 cent coupons that were doubled to $1.50! I actually made a penny on each one! How cool is that?!
Another example is bread. We buy a brand called "Nature's Own." It is an all-natural bread with no artificial colors (a big no-no in this house!), flavors or preservatives. Just one of my sons alone goes through a loaf a day, so we definitely like to save on bread as we go through a lot! Using the same method as the jelly, I was able to use coupons that were doubled while the item was on sale. I got the loaves of bread for .49 cents! Unbelievable!
This isn't going to happen everyday, but it is encouraging that even for those of us who do most of our cooking/baking from scratch and don't eat a lot of processed foods, that savings is still possible. I hope to utilize even more of Christi's suggestions in the future as I continue to learn "all things coupon." :-)
Couponing Made Simple is available from Amazon for $18 or in e-book format for only $4.99.




No comments:
Post a Comment