Friday, July 19, 2013

Homeschool Mother's Journal/Weekly wrap-up July 19

Here it is Friday again!  The summer weeks continue to fly by.


This week's theme for Kiddo #4's camp was "Mystery."  On Monday, they made an apple pie with no apples!  :-)  (and for the record, it tasted like apple pie, as well!)  Too cool.  I was told that the recipe was quite popular during the Great Depression when fruit was a luxury that many couldn't afford.  There is an actual chemical reaction that takes place that makes the look and taste.  It is pretty wholesome, too, as you think it would be if the recipe originated in the 1930s.  Kiddo's camp teacher said that she first made it in Chemistry class.  Wow, I never had a Chemistry experiment like that.  :-(


Later in the week, they learned all about analyzing fingerprints.


So far, cucumbers are the only veggies that we have been able to pick from our garden.  Everything else is growing, so hopefully we'll be able to pick some other ones soon!  The sunflowers that Kiddo #2 started from seed are also doing well!  :-)



On Tuesday, I hosted my weekly recipe linkup called "Try a New Recipe Tuesday."  I shared the homemade playdoh recipe that the kiddos and I used last week.  You can see it and all of the other delicious recipes that were shared here.  The linkup is open until Monday night if you have any other recipes that you would like to linkup.  :-)

The Kiddos found a caterpillar in one of our parsley plants.  They immediately looked it up and found out that it is a Black Swallowtail.  We took him inside, bought him some parsley to eat and we will yet again get to watch an amazing transformation, but this time with a different breed of butterfly.  Isn't it awesome when kids get so excited over something and it just encourages their creativity and desire to learn?


Speaking of creativity, Kiddo #4 has been quite busy in that department this week.  She is making dollhouse furniture out of perler beads.  She has made a table and 4 chairs already and is starting a bookshelf.  I think a dresser is going to be next.  It sure beats just going out and buying some, when you can design and make it yourself!  :-)



On Thursday, she finished the nightgown she had been working on in sewing class for her American Girl Doll, Ruthie.


The boys haven't been so idle, either, as their grandfather is doing some remodeling in the basement and they were all given jobs to do.  I truly believe the best learning is hands-on, and there is no shortage of that here.  :-)




Hope you have a wonderful weekend with much love, learning and laughter!  God bless!  :-)

Linking up today with:  Homeschool Mother's JournalWeekly Wrap-UpNOBHShow-Off FridayLearn and Link and It's a WrapFriendship Friday and Friday Connection and Family Fun Friday and T.G.I.F. Linky Party

15 comments:

Sanz said...

That is fabulous hands-on learning...my favorite kind!!! Watch the metamorphosis of the caterpillar is going to be awesome. Looks like a great week!

Unknown said...

I love that sweet little doll house furniture :) I remember this craft from my childhood and considered getting the materials to do that with my kids recently, but I think they're still a little young. Can't wait, though. It's fun to watch them be creative!

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love the doll furniture Kiddo #4 made. The remodeling in the basement looks awesome too! So great that your sons are learning hands-on skills. Also, I am going to get a copy of the book you reviewed yesterday and use it with my youngest son. Thanks for all your great ideas. Have a good weekend!

Deb J. in Utah said...

P.S. Thought you would like to know, I just ordered the book 25 Truths! Looking forward to using it with my son. We are always looking for good resources we can use to teach our children Godly principles, and this looks like a good one. Thank you so much!!

Unknown said...

Wow! So much fun! I love the little chair!

Annette said...

very neat! :) I want to find that apple pie recipe. :)

Annette @ A Net In Time
http://anetintimeschooling.weebly.com/a-net-in-time-blog.html

Bethany said...

Oh...we love mysteries!

laughinglioness.lisa@gmail.com said...

What a busy week! I love the perler furniture. I'll have to show dd this - she is a perler lover!

Meghan Carver said...

I've heard about that poor man's pie, made mostly with crackers? Interesting!

Eileen Marie Miller said...

Looks like a wonderful week.

Karen said...

A great week Lisa. I love the cucumber and sunflower pics! Gorgeous. Her sewing is just getting better and better! Just love reading about your weeks and seeing all your pictures! Happy Saturday!

Dawn said...

What a great experience the boys are having helping grandpa.
Blessings, Dawn

Tonia said...

What a great experience for your boys! My daughter loves using perler beads too.

Aloha Acres said...

Your kiddos are so creative. I love the hands on experiences. They'd never find that in a public school. PLUS, I know they are building memories with their grandfather ... priceless!

Lucinda said...

I just love that bead furniture - so cute and VERY creative. My kids have never done 3D creations with beads - I'm going to show them your daughter's work. Thank you for sharing! Lucinda