Monday, September 17, 2012

Try a New Recipe Tuesday- September 18

It is Tuesday again and that means it's time for our little recipe party!  :-)


As those of you who read my blog know, we have been doing lots of canning here.  This week I am sharing how we canned our peaches.

remove skins from peaches (I read that some do it by placing peaches in boiling then cold water, but we found it easier just to skin them with a cucumber peeler)

remove pits, slice peaches into chunks

pack into jars (and pack them TIGHTLY.  they really do shrink quite a bit.  we are going to cut ours a bit smaller next time to fit more because, as you can see from the photos, they really did shrink)

Add boiling water or syrup with 1/2 inch headspace.  We made a light syrup, which consists of 1 cup of sugar in 1 quart of water.  Stir constantly so sugar melts and add to jars once it is at a boil.

Put in pressure canner for 10 minutes at 5 pounds of pressure.  Enjoy!  :-)




Linking up with the Gathering Spot, Kids in the Kitchen, Tasty Tuesday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Domestically Divine Tuesday, Raising Mighty Arrows, Addicted to Recipes, Homemaking Wednesdays, Living Well Wednesday, NOBH, Judy H-J's Thoughts, Wisdom Wednesday , Favorite Things and Modest Mom and Foodie Friends Friday

13 comments:

Camille said...

Happy Birthday! My birthday was also on Monday! :-)

Unknown said...

Looks Delicious! Thanks for having this linkup!

Rebecca said...

Canning - the one thing I really want to learn how to do that truly scares me!!!!!

akawest said...

Thanks for hosting! I am now following.

Lydia said...

We love our home-canned peaches! A couple of years ago I started canning mine in bite sized pieces. It fills the jars better, takes less jars and jar lids and it makes them easier to eat- especially for my 2 littles.

I admire you for using a pressure canner...those things scare the wits out of me! I just use a regular canner.

Unknown said...

Great job Lisa! I love peaches! Here we buy them in tins. Thanks for hosting. I am happy to link up. Have a good day.

Unknown said...

I love canning! Didn't get to do much this past summer because of the horrible heat--nothing really grew. =( Thanks for stopping by and letting me know about this linky! Hope you have a great day!
Carolyn
www.cookinformycaptain.com

Unknown said...

pinned and shared! thank you lisa - I needed this recipe :)

Morsels of Life | CJ Huang said...

Thanks for hosting, Lisa. I'm always wanting to try canning but too afraid to! :)

Unknown said...

You are set for the winter. Thank you for sharing on my Our Favorite Things Link Party. I really admire the things you do for your family. Many God Bless.

Elisa said...

I linked my peach harvest recipes, including our canned fruit cocktail. This is the second year I have canned fruit cocktail, and it really is easier than it sounds. I don't even use a canner; I just process the jars in a very large pot.

Rasmussen Family said...

I seriously need to get the stuff for canning, I love canned peaches. You are awesome for doing it, I get so lazy!

Unknown said...

I haven't done any canning for a long long time but have memories of helping my mom can and eating wonderful canned peaches in the winter. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and I hope that you will join us again this coming week.