It is always hectic to come home over Labor Day weekend and then, in a matter of days, to try to get everything together and organized to start school on Wednesday, but we did it.
Monday was a rainy and dreary Labor Day here, but we were still able to barbecue and enjoy the day. On Tuesday, my son and I were asked to help with a very sad funeral at our church for a baby. It profoundly affected me. I wrote a bit more about it here. On a happier note, you will also see in that post that we got to can some peas! Yay! :-) We're adding that to our corn and carrots.
I hosted my weekly recipe linkup on Tuesday. Come over and see some of the delicious ones that were shared.
We started back with our schoolwork on Wednesday and took lots of photos of the kiddos doing some of their work. It was the subject of my Wordless Wednesday post which you could see here.
My favorite resources this week have to be a wonderful airplane study I found at Hands of a Child for Kiddo #1 and a game called "Noun Town" that Kiddos #3 and 4 got to play on Friday. I found this for free at filefolderfun.com. I had it printed at a local copy store, so the quality is really good and I will definitely have it laminated before it gets too well used. :-)
For sure one of my favorite things can be seen in the photo below. Kiddos 3 and 4 finished their morning work before their older brothers and they worked together quietly and cooperatively to get an awesome train track built. It isn't just the creativity of the track and layout that pleased me, but how well they play together and wisely use their time. I told them that those are some of the best life lessons they could have learned today.
What I'm reading: no more marathon readings sessions like at the beach :-(, but I am trying to keep up with my reading groups.
What I'm praying for: those who are ill, suffering, or who have had a death in their families, those who are unemployed, our military, our nation, my family....
A quote or photo to share:
"Academies that are founded at public expense are instituted not so much to cultivate men's natural abilities as to restrain them."-- Baruch Spinoza (1632-1677)
"All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education."
– Sir Walter Scott
Linking up with Create with Joy, Homeschool Mother's Journal, Weekly Wrap-Up and Favorite Resources.
7 comments:
Looks like you had a great week. Love those quotes!
What a great first week :) This year I am really trying to search out free online resources to use at home and I am amazed at what I've found already!!
Oh, oh! How disheartening for that new Mom! The kids and I often talk of Caleb. He lived 3 days and is in a family plot on the next road over where we walk. The kids like leaving him wild flowers. Losing a baby makes an impact even when you don't really know them or their families.
Great learning games!
Noun Town looks awesome! Love the Train track pics. We studied about the Transcontinental Railroad this week and Kei said she would like to have train track. Hope you are all having a relaxing weekend Lisa.
Looks like a great week! Look at all those peas...wow!
Both the airplane lapbook and the Noun Town game seem great. Thanks for linking up at Favorite Resources :)
Hope you have a super week ahead!
Airplane study--that is Awesome!!!
Hope you have a great year!
Looks like you are off to a great start this year! Noun Town sounds fun:) Isn't it wonderful to see your kiddos work together and get along?!
Post a Comment