I have to be honest. I was a bit skeptical when chosen for this review. An audio? Would my children, who have been born into and immersed in a video culture be able to/be interested in listening to stories? I had these visions in my head of the families during World War II listening together to FDR, news or their nightly entertainment on the radio. Seeing Norman Rockwell renditions of scenes like that would make anyone smile.
Wow, wait a minute. There is something to that, isn't there? Spending quality time together as a family doing something both fun and educational. I think I just may like this idea! :-) I just had to see if I could sell the kids on it. My fears were quickly laid to rest. I thought to myself that we read every day aloud together. Isn't that very much the same concept? They are listening to me, as they would to an audio broadcast. I thought that it might just work. And boy was I right.
These delightful and engaging stories did keep ALL of us interested and listening. It was so awesome to see! :-) The stories are geared for the entire family, so any age at all would gain something from them. My children are 10. 12, 14 and almost 16 and all of them enjoyed the stories.
There are 12 episodes of exciting adventures of a missionary family around the world. Although fictional, all of the shows are based on true events.
This is not like an audiobook at all, with just one person reading a script. There are separate and distinct voices for every character. You feel like you are there!
What I also enjoyed is that on the website, there are coloring pages that accompany the audio. When we listened to some episodes at home at the computer (we also listen to some in the car), two of my children colored while listening. It was a great way to do something relevant to the story and pay attention at the same time. :-)
Also on the website, is a section entitled "Stories behind the Stories." It gives more details and provides links of information where you can learn more about the culture and geography of the areas in the episodes. I love ways to expand learning and have it cross into different subject areas (writing, geography, cooking, etc.)
The suggested donation is $17 for the MP3 album or $25 for the physical CDs. I love that this family suggests a donation. If someone truly cannot afford that amount, they can donate what they are able and still receive a wonderful, education and wholesome product for their family. And, of course, if a family feels led to do so, can donate a bit more to this family's ministry.

Don't miss a thing! Subscribe to Home to 4 Kiddos by Email and get our posts sent right to your inbox!



No comments:
Post a Comment