Happy Monday and Happy Tax Day! :-)
It was a good weekend for the 4 Kiddos family. On Saturday, we did a really fun science experiment that turned a bar of Ivory soap into a huge blob. It was so much fun to see the kiddos so engaged and eager to see more.
I love when learning is hands-on! So much "learning" has become boring, mundane and "textbook-y." A child (or anyone, for that matter) needs to be interested and engaged. Their creativity and imagination need to be stimulated. In order for true learning to take place, the student(s) must really have a desire and a curiosity to delve into the subject area and find out as much as they can. That is true passion and that is what I witnessed with the experiment. I truly believe that if we don't find out our children's true interests and encourage them to pursue such interests to the fullest, we are stifling the very spirit of innovation that has inspired countless others to success in this nation and around the world.
Another outlet that is of critical importance to a young person's development is the ample opportunity for physical activity. It saddened me deeply when I was teaching in the public schools that the students in grades 7-9 were not permitted outside once all day long! The benefits of exercise are obviously well known and to deprive kids of that outlet after being cooped up in a desk for hours and hours on end is detrimental and unfortunate. I don't think any of us could be cooped in a desk for hours without being given a chance to stretch or go outside for some air. Many adults use their lunch hours to go to a gym or exercise facility at their office complex. Countless others run errands or go out to lunch. They need that time to unwind, get fresh air and move around. But, youngsters, who have an even greater need for physical release aren't given such opportunities. Even if my children and I aren't able to get outside due to weather, we will do some sort of physical activity inside-- even in the middle of a math lesson, if necessary. You would be amazed at how a jog around the house or up and down the steps helps a child to focus. When more oxygen gets to the brain, there is a marked change in attention, performance and attitude!
We have been blessed with great weather, so the kids have been outside almost everyday. And this weekend was no exception.
As you can see from the photos, the bikes are all getting a bit small for the Kiddos, so hubby and I took them all out bike shopping after Church on Sunday. Two of the bikes needed to be assembled, so they will not be ready until Tuesday. You know I will happily post pictures then! :-) Everyone is excited about "graduating" to bigger bicycles, that I hope will give them much pleasure and exercise for a few years to come.
The beautiful weather has also brought back many of our feathered friends. We are eagerly anticipating additions to our photographic bird journal and to learning more about their traits and migratory patterns.
So, yes, in addition to the laundry, cleaning, cooking and other "regular" activities of a weekend, there was much fun and activity in our household that has given me even more reason to smile, be grateful and record memories here for my children to cherish in the future. :-) I hope your weekend was memorable and meaningful!
Linking up with: On, in and around Mondays in addition to Wisdom Wednesday, Living Well Wednesday, Mom's Monday Mingle, Monday Mingle, Modest Mom, Crazy Mama, Homemaking Wednesdays and Raising Mighty Arrows and Titus 2sday and Clever Chicks Blog Hop and Memoir Monday and Mondays with Countrified Hicks and Create with Joy
5 comments:
Love that bird photo:)
I am so thankful that my girls have unlimited time to play outdoors. I can't imagine them having to stay indoors all day long!
New bikes are exciting! We need to graduate to new bikes too. Both girls have grown so much lately.
Have a beautiful week!
Love that bird photo:)
I am so thankful that my girls have unlimited time to play outdoors. I can't imagine them having to stay indoors all day long!
New bikes are exciting! We need to graduate to new bikes too. Both girls have grown so much lately.
Have a beautiful week!
Hi !
My name is Eric and I work at CafePress—the world’s premier customization engine that allows its users to create and design unique custom products. We found your blog online and we love your site! We are looking for bloggers such as yourself and I wanted to see if you’d be interested in having us sponsor a free product for yourself or your viewers.
Would you be interested in reviewing one of our custom or personalized products? If not, we have a ton of different products ranging from clothing for adults and children, home accessories, decor, drinkware, to sports memorobillia, stationary and bedding. I’m sure with the wide amount of products we have, there will be surely be something that you could incorporate to your blog to further engage your site's audience.
If you are interested, please let me know! You can take a look at our products on www.cafepress.com to see if there are any products or samples that you are interested in. We look forward to working with you to review and share our products with your readers.
Looking forward to your response,
Eric Kao
Community Outreach
ekao@cafepress.com
CafePress Inc.
The World's Customization Engine
CafePress Facebook
www.cafepressinc.com
Lisa,
THANK YOU for linking up!
I love your journal of sorts on life and activities....so wonderful!
Lovely, friend, thanks:)
xoxoxox
C
Sounds like a lovely weekend :) We are really enjoying the warmer weather here, and it's been wonderful to watch the changes in the girls from just last year!!
Post a Comment