Friday, April 26, 2013

Homeschool Mother's Journal/Weekly Wrap-Up April 26

Another week has come and gone.  Are they going by more quickly or is it just me?  ;-)  I am realizing that I am slacking off in the taking of photos department.  I need to be more cognizant of taking them everyday again.

On Sunday, we went to a Phillies game.  It was Kiddo #4's very first game and it was special.  She was able to meet a ball girl and see the team win.  There are more photos of it here in my Memoir Monday post.  It was a very late, but fun night.


On Monday, Kiddo had her sewing class.  She is working on a summer nightgown for herself.  She brought home a wrapped up "surprise" that I am very excited to see on Mother's Day in a few weeks!  :-)

Tuesday was my mom's birthday.  We went out with her to breakfast and dinner.  We were also able to bring back Kiddo #3's bike since it had a tire problem.  They gladly replaced the tire and Kiddo is back up and riding.  :-)  We didn't have our Italian lesson today, as the teacher was sick.  She did set up  some more review for us on Quizlet, so that will keep us busy until next week.

I also posted my Try a New Recipe Tuesday post.  I shared my daughter's Snickerdoodles.  She surprised us with them and I promised her that they would be the on the blog for everyone to see.  They were mighty tasty!  :-)  You can see those and all of the other recipes that were shared here.  As of this writing, there are 68 recipes shared!  A record for my little recipe linkup!  :-)  :-)


On Wednesday, after our schoolwork, hubby was able to take a few hours off from work to take us to the military base to get our new i.d. card photos taken.  Since he is now retired, we all get different cards.  Sure strange for him to get his photo taken in civilian clothes for the first time in 25+ years.  Kiddo #4 was thrilled that she was able to get her very first military id.  They usually do not get issued until the child is 10, but since she will be 10 in a few months, they saved us an additional trip.  Her pose on the card is priceless-- looking like she modeling with the head tilt and all, lol!  She is so definitely our 'girly girl.' :-)

Kiddo #1 asked his dad to take him back out to the store specifically to buy some wood to make his sister a balance beam for her dolls.  I am really proud of him.  He's a good kid and we are certainly blessed.  I shared more photos here, on my Thankful Thursday post.


On Thursday, I tried to get a little clever with Kiddo #3 and 4's math assignments.  They are learning how to calculate perimeter.  Since Kiddo #4 loves her toy pigs so much, I gave her a "pigie" perimeter problem.  Needless to say, she was quite happy to figure out the answer.  :-)


Thursday night, Kiddo #1 received his first promotion with the Civil Air Patrol.  He is now a "Cadet Airman."  We are very proud of him!  He had to pass not only an academic test, but a physical fitness test and moral leadership qualifications.  I didn't get any photos since they were in their PT gear.  The officers said that I will be able to pin his new rank on his uniform next week.  So, I'll be sure to get some photos then.  The next rank includes aerospace and aviation testing.  He lives and breathes everything aviation, so I know that he will enjoy moving up the ranks now.  :-)

This morning (Friday), I found an online experiment from Supercharged Science about making hand gliders.  There was so much laughter and cheering about how far each one would go.  Those are the sounds that any mom/teacher loves to hear.




This afternoon we are headed over to our church to help set up for a flea market.  It is a fundraiser for our family retreat.  The retreat has been such a memorable and rewarding experience for us over the past few years.  The flea market setup is also a good opportunity for my children to do service within our community.  Kiddos #1 and 2 also volunteer each week with administrative and other duties during the church classes on Thursday evenings.  They assist with many things including attendance, "grading" homework, and even guiding parents' cars in and out of the parking lot.  There are always tasks to be done and the teenaged "helpers" are there to be of service.

The seeds we planted together back in February have grown beautifully and we are looking forward to getting them into the garden.  Hopefully this weekend's weather will be cooperative.  We had another frost warning last night and had to bring them inside.  It is definitely time for consistent spring-like weather!  Spring fever is here.  Now the weather just has to cooperate.  :-)


Linking up today with:  Homeschool Mother's JournalWeekly Wrap-UpNOBHShow-Off FridayLearn and Link and It's a WrapFriendship Friday and Friday Connection

6 comments:

Unknown said...

It seems like forever since I've visiting over here! :sigh: My computer time has been quite limited these last few months.

How fun on the baseball game. My girl and I went to a Seadogs game - affiliate team of the Red Sox - a couple of weeks ago and it was cancelled. Why? Too cold! LOL

Those Snickerdoodles look awesome! I've also done little in the way of baking lately too!

Calculating perimeter looks fun! I have a pinterest math board with ideas for area and perimeter including one for NAMES. Someday we'll get to it! LOL

Chris said...

Great shots...
have fun tonight! Congrats to your son!!
WooHOO!!

I should really do the WRU, looks like fun ..... but with Artful Fri and 7 QTa on Fri, I'm kinda inundated...maybe I'll rotate..:)Great idea.

Thx for sharing, friend....
Enjoy the weekend!

Leah Courtney said...

Congratulations on the accomplishments of kiddos! I, too, think the weeks are flying by right now. I can't believe we are about to hit summer!

Anonymous said...

Snickerdoodles are one of my childhood favorites! Love the pig perimeter problem...perfect for your daughter! That is so sweet to see a big brother make a doll balance beam for his sister:) And the hand gliders sure were a hit with your kiddos. Congratulations to you son on his accomplishments!

Meghan Carver said...

Looks like a wonderful week...and yes, it does seem as if they are flying by! *sigh* And now I'm not here until Sunday, so I'll say I hope you had a great weekend! :)

Debbie Jones said...

Hi - sounds like a good week. Congrats to your son on his Civil Air Patrol Promotion! I remember those days when my oldest was in CAP. I am going to try those Snickerdoodles. Hoping I have time again to link with you on Recipe Tuesday but it may be summer before I can get back into in. Enjoy the weeke ahead.