Monday, April 22, 2013

TOS Review- Interactive Treasure Island study guide

Today I am reviewing the Treasure Island Interactive Study Guide from Progeny Press.


The study guide was a downloadable PDF that could be filled in and saved by the student.  It is intended for students in grades 7-10.  My teenaged boys are in 8th and 9th respectively.



The guide includes questions, vocabulary and activities.  Before even beginning the study, there were "Prereading Activities" that included researching, drawing and other fun ideas for the student to gain familiarity with some of what will be in the book.

I liked that the questions throughout the guide were varied.  Some were multiple choice questions, some were fill-in, some asked for the boys to formulate an opinion.  They weren't too happy with the questions that had to do with grammar, though.  :-)



The guide was extremely thorough and comprehensive.  It didn't just give the students the plot, but had them think about what was occurring in the story as well as demonstrate comprehension.  The fun activities such as researching types of currency from that time period or drawing a ship made the book and its setting more interesting and engaging.  The guide also introduces the students to concepts such as foreshadowing and mood through its various activities.  It was a fun and interesting way to not only read and understand a timeless, literary classic, but to be introduced to literary technique and analysis.

I also liked that the guide had an interesting section on the author, Robert Louis Stevenson.  It is important for anyone when reading, to understand about the life and times of the author.  It gives additional perspective and clarity.

We enjoyed using the study guide during our reading of "Treasure Island."  I look forward to using some of Progeny's many other titles in the future.

The interactive download sells for $16.99.  Progeny also offers it in a CD format for the same price, as well as a printed book for $18.99.


Photobucket

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I love Progeny Press! They were my sponsor for the 2:1 Conference, and I so appreciate what they offer to homeschoolers. We're working through The Scarlet Pimpernel right now.