Sunday, February 26, 2012

Make Life Meaningful Monday- February 27

This past Friday, I surprised the kiddos with a visit to a local garden center.  We purchased seed, potting soil and planters.  I let them each pick out flowers that we can eventually transplant outside, but I also got some vegetables.  My husband always has a wonderful vegetable (and flower) garden every year, but I thought it would be neat to approach it from a homeschooling mother's perspective.  What does that mean, you ask?  :-)


I found 4 clear containers that wonton soup comes in and thought it would be neat to plant carrots in them so the kids can actually watch the formation of the carrot itself; something that is not ordinarily witnessed or observed.  We can chart how fast the carrot grows and how big it actually gets.  Of course, we can eventually enjoy eating  them!  :-)


The kids thought this an awesome idea and very enthusiastically planted both their carrot seeds and their flower seeds.  I did some extra flowers and vegetables, too. 







I will post updates as to how our plants are faring!  Doing a special project with my kids made it a meaningful day!

"God also said: 'See, I give you every seed-bearing plant all over the earth and every tree that has seed-bearing fruit on it to be your food; and to all the animals of the land, all the birds of the air, and all the living creatures that crawl on the ground, I give all the green plants for food.'"-- Genesis 1:29-30

I am linking up today with Michelle at Changed by the Maker for her "Making Life Meaningful Monday" meme.  Come over and share how your life is more meaningful today because of something special  :-)

10 comments:

Michelle @ Changed By The Maker said...

Oh, I love that carrot idea! We always grow a garden, but I'm thinking I might give up my strawberry patch and let the boys plant and care for their own garden this summer. I feel a little panicked, though. I haven't started anything related to gardening yet! Of course, here in Minnesota, we are just finally getting some decent snowfall! Thanks again for linking up with me! I always look forward to reading your blog!

Nikki @ Simplystriving said...

What a wonderful idea! I've done beans...why didn't I think of carrots? :)
Thanks, Lisa!

Unknown said...

That is a great idea!! Ken is planting flower seeds with the girls this week - can't believe we didn't think of veggies!

Dawn said...

I love this! Looking forward to watching them grow! Blessings!

Carrie said...

Awesome, Lisa! I am seriously thinking about one of those strawberry plants - my kids practically inhale store bought containers of strawberries! I'm also planning a "live" activity to do with my girls for Lent. I'm super excited and will share if we're successful :) Can't wait to see your plants shooting through the soil!

MissMOE said...

I love projects like this--can't wait to see how they grow.

Marsha Cooper said...

I so want a great garden. We didn't have any luck at all here at our new house :( I want containers! Money is holding us back.
I did save out lots of seeds and will do what I can with the 2 big planters that came with the house when we bought it.

Unknown said...

we 're working on our garden now - it's already hot hot here! I've added your button on our weekly link up at AdventurezInChildRearing

Stef said...

I so need to do this! I've been putting it off and the seeds are waiting..... thanks for the inspiration!! Do you happen to know where I can get me some organic strawberry seed? I've been looking for them all over -- and just read all the brouhaha about organic strawberry plants being sold as organic when in fact they didn't start out life that way :D....

Lisa Boyle said...

Thanks everyone, for your kind comments! I will certainly post updates and photos of our plants as they begin to grow. @Stef, we bought our organic plants/soil/planters at a place called Primex Garden centers. I don't know if they could ship you seeds if you purchased them over the phone or online? Right now, all of their seeds are 25% off, as well. :-) Their website is http://primexgardencenter dot com Many blessings!