Monday, January 28, 2013

Try a New Recipe Tuesday- January 29

Last week was another spectacular linkup.  If you haven't gotten a chance to go back and see all of the recipe that were shared, you can find them here.

Yesterday (Monday) was my dad's birthday and my parents' wedding anniversary (yes, he still says that she was the best birthday present he ever got.  isn't that sweet?).  Kiddo #1 baked them a cake using his own recipe that he has tweaked from various sources over the last couple of years.  We all look forward to it on special occasions.  :-)

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Heat oven to 350.  Grease and flour baking pan.  Measure all ingredients into large mixer bowl.  Mix well.  Pour into pan.



Bake oblong 35-40 minutes, layers 30-35 minutes or until wooden toothpick comes out clean.  Cool.


Frosting
1/3 cup soft butter or margarine
3 cups confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
About 2 tablespoons milk

Blend butter and sugar.  Stir in vanilla and milk.  Beat until desired consistency.  Spread onto cake when cool.


Linking up with the Gathering SpotKids in the Kitchen, Tasty TuesdayTempt my Tummy TuesdayDomestically Divine Tuesday, Raising Mighty Arrows,Addicted to RecipesHomemaking Wednesdays, Living Well Wednesday,NOBH, Judy H-J's ThoughtsWisdom Wednesday , Favorite ThingsModest MomFull Plate Thursday and Melt in your Mouth Monday and Show Off Friday and Tuesday's Table and Look What We Did and Titus 2sday Mom's Monday MingleMonday MingleCrafty SpicesBetter Mom,Create with JoyThursday's TreasuresTasty Thursdays and Wonderful Food Wednesday and Mondays with Countrified Hicks


16 comments:

Countrified Hicks said...

Thanks for hosting. I really enjoy your blog hop. My submission this week is #5, Homemade marshmallows.
http://www.facebook.com/countrifiedhicks
http://www.countrifiedhicks.com

Mamal Diane said...

The cake looks delicious! Great job :) Thanks so much for hosting and have a wonderful Tuesday!

What Marty Sees said...

That cake looks great! I pinned it for later reference :-)

Miz Helen said...

Hi Lisa,
The Anniversary/Birthday cake looks yummy. Hope you are having a good week and thanks for hosting!
Miz Helen

Heidi said...

It is awesome that last weeks link up was so popular! Can't wait to see what new recipes this week will turn up!

Chris said...

Lisa
Thank you for hosting!
Your son's cake looks amazing! I love the 72/46 as well. Perfect.

All these recipes seem so sumptuous and enticing. I wish I had time to really enjoy all of them...I do need to come back through out the week and check in.
And BTW you are all so blessed to have your parents still...but you know this......I love how you guys spend so much time together and how your kids are so close to your them...Have a great day, Lisa
xoxo
~Chris

Monique G. said...

Thanks for hosting! The cake looks delicious.

Brandi said...

I have always made the homemade chocolate cake on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa box. :) I love using coconut oil to enhance flavor!

Bridget7575 said...

Thanks for hosting, Lisa! Have a great rest of the week!

Unknown said...

The cake looks great! You should be proud :) I actually posted a recipe today so I linked up. Have a great week.

Karen said...

That looks so good! I love how you all put the age and the years on the cake. I know that was so meaningful to your Dad. Look at all these links!! I am about to go find something for dinner. :) Hugs Lisa

Morsels of Life | CJ Huang said...

Thanks for hosting! Your kiddos made a nice cake. :)

Unknown said...

The cake looks oh so yummy!

Miz Helen said...

Your recipe is awesome and thank you so much for sharing it with Full Plate Thursday.
Have a great weekend and come back soon!
Miz Helen

Claire Justine said...

Great cake :) thanks for sharing with us at Creative Mondays ,featuring this week...

The Mandatory Mooch said...

I love it when kids contribute. What a great job. Thanks for sharing at Tasty Thursdays!! Nichi