Monday, November 26, 2012

Try a New Recipe Tuesday- November 27

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!  :-)  With the festivities over, it's back to the grind and time for another week of our recipe share.


One of the dishes my mom makes for Thanksgiving that I look forward to each and every year is her sweet potatoes and apples.


Here is her recipe:

6 sweet potatoes
6 apples
1/2 stick of butter
brown sugar
cinnamon

Scrub and wash potatoes.  Bring pot of water with pinch of salt to a boil and cook potatoes until a fork will go in easily, but they are not too soft.  Cool potatoes then peel them.  Let cool longer then slice in quarters.  Peel and core apples and slice in quarters.  Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and cook apples until fork penetrates easily, but again, do not over cook.  Save water from apples.  Rub bottom of pan well with butter.  Lay pats of butter in pan, then a layer of potatoes, a layer of apples, more pats of butter.  Sprinkle a small handful of brown sugar over the layer.  Then sprinkle cinnamon.  Repeat.  Pour about a cup of the apple water over the top.  Cover with foil and bake at 325 for 40-45 minutes.  Enjoy!  It is SO tasty!  :-)

 Linking up with the Gathering Spot, Kids in the Kitchen, Tasty Tuesday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Domestically Divine Tuesday, Raising Mighty Arrows,Addicted to Recipes, Homemaking Wednesdays, Living Well Wednesday,NOBH, Judy H-J's Thoughts, Wisdom Wednesday , Favorite Things, Modest Mom, Full Plate Thursday and Melt in your Mouth Monday and Show Off Friday and Tuesday's Table and Look What We Did


11 comments:

Maria said...

Looks yummy! I just might have to make some of those soon. I found sweet potatoes for 25 cents a pound at the grocery store the other day & grabbed a bunch.

Unknown said...

This looks so colourful and delicious Lisa! Thanks for hosting and have a good Tuesday.

Jen said...

That looks and sounds delish!!! Thanks for the link up and I will definitely add that one to my try list ;)

Miz Helen said...

Hope you are having a great week and thanks for hosting!
Miz Helen

Jamie @ Prepared to Eat said...

I have seen so many good apple recipes lately. I wish our local apples had done better this year! This looks great, a nice way to serve those cheap sweet potatoes in a different way.

Bridget7575 said...

Thanks for hosting! Have a great week!

Unknown said...

Looks wonderful Lisa - hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Morsels of Life | CJ Huang said...

Sweet taters and apples sounds like a great combo! Thanks for sharing and hosting. :)

Unknown said...

Very yummy!!! Great dish to share this Christmas. Thanks for linking up to my Our Favorite Things Link Party.

What Marty Sees said...

Hmmmm, I mix some apple pieces in with my brussel sprouts (along with a little bacon :-) but I've never thought of mixing it in with the sweet potatoes. I'm intrigued!

Savannah McQueen said...

I, too, found sweet potatoes for 25 cents. This looks delicious and a new way for me to serve it. Thanks for linking up at Look What We Did.