Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Thankful Thursday- July 12

I am so grateful for wonderful homeschool programs like the one that we attended today.  These classes are held on a breathtakingly beautiful 90-acre site that is so peaceful.  We enjoyed a picnic lunch after the program and a long hike.






Today's adventure was on honey-making and jarring.  The kids all learned so much about bees, how they "communicate," how they function in the hive and of course, how honey is made.  The actual honeycombs were taken into the kitchen and they were all shown how to take the wax off of them. 



Then, they were placed in the extractor, where the honey went down and into each of their jars. 


My kiddos all helped out, especially Kiddo #1, who proudly accepted the larger and heavier tasks.  :-)



They each got to decorate their jars. (they are SO quaint and pretty-- I don't even want to open them but I will because the honey is SO delicious!)  What really impressed me was that each of them thought of their brother who is away on a trip with my dad and wanted to make him a jar, as well.  It was very sweet and very thoughtful.



Incredibly miraculous, I found that my little girl, who until today, was deathly afraid of bees, allowed one to crawl on her hand.  It was a baby drone that didn't have a stinger.  That made her very comfortable and she even talked to the little fella.  Wow!  :-)


My children learned SO much and had lots of hands-on fun.  I am very grateful for the volunteers who organized and taught the program.  What a gift they are to all of us!  I look forward to whatever programs they are planning for the future.  We will be glad to be a part of them.

12 comments:

Debbie Jones said...

This looks like such a wonderful activity. You will not find activities like this in public schools. I love honey, so this is something I would have totally enjoyed. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

What an amazing experience for them. One most kids will never get. I admire the commitment you have made to give your children the best education possible.

Eileen Marie Miller said...

Great adventure! Thank you for sharing it. Is this a government run program?

See the beauty of homeschooling? Your children thought of their sibling not present! Awesome!

Judy Dudich said...

Wow, that's amazing! How wonderful!

Lisa said...

What a great adventure! And those jars look beautiful.

Maria said...

Sounds like a great experience & I'm sure you children enjoyed it. Great photos!

Karen said...

Wow Lisa, I know you all loved this. First of all, like I said before, that place is gorgeous. I would love to just walk around there. I know they learned so much. What a great experience. Love how they got to decorate their own jars.

Yay for your girl! How brave she was! :)

Unknown said...

Wow - how fun!! What a great learning tool!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great time. The honey looks yummy!

Emmalee I. Hoggatt said...

Looks like you all had a wonderful time and a great learning experience!

Carrie said...

This is fabulous! I'm envious of the opportunity - I'd love to see it! And I like how your daughter's fear was squelched after the drone crawled on her hand. We had two stung this year so both kids are a little weary now. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a beautiful place. I am fascinated by the idea of honey making! How cool!! I want to find a field trip like that!

Thank you for linking up with Thankful Thursday.