In my life/homeschool this week:
Friday was a washout as far as going anywhere (the weather was just too cold and wet), so we ended up staying home and doing some extra work and activities. Kiddos 3 and 4 enjoyed making a flip book in their Notebooking Journal for their Apologia Zoology class. They learned about wolves, coyotes, African wild dogs, dingoes, etc. I have been learning right along with them.
Saturday was a fun day. Kiddo #4 was at church volunteering with some other young ladies in the morning and Kiddo #1 was baking a vanilla cake to top with chocolate frosting this time.
Our "game night" became "football playoff night," lol, but it was fun watching the two games with our boys, as they enjoyed the cake. :-) Kiddo #4 would watch on and off, but made a great discovery in a closet in the basement-- a new Lite Brite toy that the kiddos were given a couple of Christmases ago. So, she and I made some interesting creations together.
Monday was a day off for everyone. The kids were thrilled to have their dad off from work. :-) We took down the rest of the Christmas decorations down (yes, there were still some left, lol!) and the kids all had their music lessons.
Tuesday we continued with our study of the human body with the Digestive System. We watched a video, made diagrams and then played "Body Bingo." The kiddos made the cards themselves! I found a blank template and a sheet of 24 different organs/systems. The kids got to choose which 16 to include on each other their cards. Playing the bingo was fun! (and we got to learn a lot about all of the systems of the body that we are going to study)
On Wednesday, the highlight was that we did crossword puzzles and matching games I made about the Digestive System. They really did well with them. It is amazing how well kids do when the learning is fun and hands-on! :-)
What I'm cooking: Friday: French toast, pancakes, waffles, omelettes, Saturday: Shepherd's Pie over noodles (hot dogs and nuggets for the kids, lol), Sunday: raviolis, meatballs, veggies, Monday: Chicken and broccoli over rice, Tuesday: Pasta and peas, chicken cutlets and baked eggplant, Wednesday: sausage and pepper sandwiches, Thursday: take out pizza
I'm praying for: those who are sick, seeking work, depressed, lonely, deployed overseas, and for all of those who have asked for my prayers. The list can go on and on.....
I'm grateful for: Whenever I start to feel down about anything, I just try to focus on the many blessings that the Lord has bestowed upon me. I posted about some of them here yesterday.
A quote or photo to share: I just LOVE this quote. This is something I have really been trying to work on:
"To be optimistic in spite of everything, trust in God should be the pivot of our thoughts and actions."- Pope John Paul I
and another cute picture of my parents' kittens:
12 comments:
I love the Light Brite! It is great to see the different tools that people use to teach and learn. Amazing what can be picked up when learning becomes fun and interesting.
I love the body bingo! What an awesome idea. I had to Pinterest it so I can remember it in a few months when we hit the human body.
The body bingo sounds and looks like fun.
You are SO right...hands on learning is the kind that stays around! It's not just memorize and dump learning.
I love cold wintry days when we don't have to go anywhere. And LiteBrite! You just reminded me my daughter has asked for new papers for hers.
Great blog! Enjoyed reading about your week. Are you using a specific curriculum for your study of the Human Body or creating your own?
i LOVE those kitties! and your son's cake...i am going to suggest to my son that he should make one, lol. sounds like your darling family had a great week :)
how are you liking apologia? i've heard good things about it and have wondered at what age to begin it.
and what kind of icing dispenser is your oldest son using to frost the cake? does it work well? i've been reading reviews and none seem to get good ones. i want one that can do a small tip, like for writing on cakes/cookies...
the cats are precious!!!
What a productive, busy week you've had! That cake sure looks yummy, and the body bingo looked like fun.
Annie Kate
http://anniekateshomeschoolreviews.com/
I love Lite Brite too! What a blast from the past! LOL
Body bingo looks like a REALLY neat way to learn body systems! Very creative!
Looks like a yummy cake! My daughter is making blueberry muffins to snack on later. (I wanted chocolate chip cookie bars, but she wanted muffins and she's cooking! LOL)
Love that quote!!!! Glad you had such an amazing week. And I enjoyed seeing what you had on your menu. I've been feeling burnt out in my dinner planning for some time. :)
Lisa, you're awesome! And great minds really DO think alike...we just did Apologia's Zoology last year and we doing Human Anatomy this year. I'm stealing your body bingo idea!
Is Kiddo #1 considering becoming a chef / baker? It looks like he has true talent and enjoys it! :) I love it when kids are passionate about something so good.
Post a Comment