Kiddo #4 used her perler beads and made all kinds of things: dogs, cats, planets and the like. She beads, I iron. We had a good little system going.
Kiddo #3 had fun with his new train and train track.
Kiddo #2 was preparing for the football playoff games.
Our school week was really non-eventful. I guess that could be a good thing? We got back into a good, daily routine and it is working.
On Monday, the kiddos all had their music lessons, and kiddos #1 and 2 had their bi-weekly Biology lab. This week they dissected a fresh water mussel. This is not my "cup of tea," so it is real blessing that a homeschooling friend hired a wonderful teacher-- a good Christian man with 20+ teaching experience in addition to his advanced degrees. He is enjoying his retirement, but is also enjoying sharing his knowledge with a class of homeschooled kids. :-)
On Tuesday, I spoke with the children about how the New Testament was written in Greek. They wrote out the Greek Alphabet and we even sang it to the tune of our "ABC" song. :-)
(I noticed one misspelling after I took the photograph, but am very proud of Kiddo #2's Greek alphabet, nonetheless) :-)
On Wednesday night, we went over to church to help take down the Christmas decorations. I believe it is a good thing to put not only the spirit of volunteerism into the hearts of our children, but a sense of responsibility to help out at their church. We also got to take home some lovely poinsettia plants that had adorned our church so beautifully this Christmas season.
Thursday morning had Kiddo #1 and I at church. We were asked to help out with a funeral. I was proud of how Kiddo #2 took care of math and other studies with the younger two while we were gone. (Don't worry, I don't leave underage children home alone. My father was there with them while I was gone, but let Kiddo #2 handle all of the "tutoring." I am very proud of him!)
Friday's forecast is calling for cold and rain, so any plans I had of a field trip have had to be postponed. I am figuring we are going to do something fun in the afternoon-- perhaps a craft or a good recipe? I love spontaniety. Don't you? :-) I will surely take pictures with the new camera and let you know what we decided upon. (all of the photos in this post were taken with my new camera! It has been set on "auto." I haven't tried any of the manual settings yet, but I will get there.
What I'm cooking: Beef Stew, Hashbrown and Ham Casserole....
What I'm grateful for: in addition to what I mentioned in my Thankful Thursday post, I am grateful for my children, my family, my church family and the many friends I have made via the blogosphere.
What I'm praying for: there seems like there are so many more lately afflicted with illness, tragedy, the loss of a loved one. I am keeping them all in my prayers.
A quote or photograph to share: Can I share both? :-) My parents got new kittens and of course, my kids are crazy about them. Meet Mittens and Smokey:
This is Mittens
and this is Smokey
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Never rely on what you think you know. Remember the Lord in everything you do, and He will show you the right way. never let yourself think that you are wiser than you are; simply obey the Lord and refuse to do wrong. If you do, it will be like good medicine, healing your wounds and easing your pains." -- Proverbs 3:5-8
I have linked up this week with The Homeschool Mother's Journal and Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.

14 comments:
Yay for a new camera! Hope you have fun with it:)
Looks like a great week- love the photos of your son making the cake:) My girls love those beads too!
What a blessing to have someone else teach biology when it comes to the gross stuff like dissection! I hope I can find someone like that when my girls get older:)
I can tell you're going to love your new camera. Have fun experimenting. Go thru the manual and try taking a picture for each lesson/description.
Also, what a face on that kitty!
Looks like a great week. God bless.
There is a lot of creativity going on at your house. And the kitty is adorable. :)
I love seeing your photos, and the neat activities you do with your children. And...Greek!? Wow! I'm impressed! :)
I don't think I could do any dissections. Eeeew. I did find a link to some virtual dissecting. That counts, right? :)
Congrats on the new camera. I'm jealous! ;)
Seriously...you're doing a fantastic job with your children.
I love a kid that loves to bake! :) My 12 year old is our "chef".
Cute Kitty!
Your homeschool looks so much fun! My eldest just got some pearler beads over the holidays...they take a lot of concentration!!! And...how much longer until my kids can decorate a cake for me?????? :)
My oldest son is our resident "cake boss" too! It feels good to be back in the swing of our routine. One of my goals this year to learn more about my camera and to take some better photos! Have a great weekend.
You and I had similar thoughts upon our hearts with regard to prayer this week :)
Those are two of the cutest kittens I've ever seen.
Thanks for this fun glimpse into your family adventures...I just LOVE those bead things...they're right up there with "Shrinky Dinks" in my book:)
YUMMY cake! And...someone else teaching Biology? Um, little jealous! But, I kind of like dissecting....it looks like you had a FANTASTIC week!!! Can't wait to start Freedom Fridays...anything specific you want to cover?
What a wonderful week! We haven't done biology yet and that is something I will definitely need someone else to teach. I am not good with icky stuff. Love the kitties and the cake! God bless you!
looks like a lovely week. Thanks for the kind comment on my blog. :)
Looks like a good week.
Hi Lisa,
I love Prov. 3:5-8. It always gives me that little "slap up side the head" that I need when I'm working too hard to figure out something that seems impossible and I should really be leaving to God anyway!
Lucky you with the new camera! I keep forgetting to take pictures of stuff we're doing!
Have you ever heard of the curriculum "Hey Andrew, Teach me some Greek?" We started memorizing the Greek alphabet last summer, with the intention of skipping the first level of that curriculum, but that has not worked out (mostly because I forget to do it!). I'm sure that we will invest in that curriculum one of these days soon!
Sounds like you had a great week! Thanks for sharing!
--Michelle
Your oldest reminds me of my husband - ready to jump in and try out new gadgets for the kitchen! His cake looked delicious! And I love to hear how a retiree is giving back to the kids by teaching science! I sure wish we had such a person in our area as I cringe at dissecting anything!!
Post a Comment