Thursday, February 23, 2012

Homeschool Mother's Journal/Weekly Wrap-Up February 24

The weeks just continue to fly by!  :-)

In my life/homeschool this week:
This past Friday, we visited the Franklin Institute Science Museum in Philadelphia.  It is always a fun, hands-on experience.  Where else can you walk through a giant heart and ride on a 350-ton locomotive?  :-) You can see the rest of the photos here.


Sunday, hubby, Kiddo #1 and I went to visit his grandmother in the hospital.  While we were there, Kiddo #4 helped my parents make 10 pounds of meatballs!  She is learning well!  :-)


Monday, President's Day, the kiddos got to spend some time with their dad and have their music lessons, as I had a doctor's appointment.

Tuesday was "Fat Tuesday," "Mardi Gras" or "Carnevale" in Italian.  After our school work and bowling, the kids decided to bake some delicious cookies to indulge in after dinner.  :-)







They are really enjoying their homeschool bowling league.  You can see pics of them all bowling here.  It is always fun and they are really getting good!


I am continuing to host the weekly link-up entitled "Try a New Recipe Tuesday."  You can see all of the delicious recipes that were linked up here.  Come join us next week with your favorite recipe.  I look forward to trying some new ones!  :-)

Wednesday was Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent.  We began a beautiful new Lenten-long project called a "Kind Words Cross."  You can see the rest of our photos and read about it here


We also are doing a good deeds or sacrifice jar.  Each time one of my children does a good deed or makes a sacrifice for someone, they put a bean in the jar.  It is my hope that the jar will be filled with beans by the end of Lent and maybe, just maybe, there will be jelly beans in their place on Easter Sunday.  ;-)


Thursday was an uneventful regular school day, catching up with biology review for Kiddos 1 & 2, math, talking about Lent and working on our Lent books. (more details about this and our special reading and activities next week)


There were some haircuts in the afternoon and I just had to photograph my handsome guys afterwards.  :-)




I'm hoping on Friday, to give my kids another fun surprise.  I'll post about it next week!  :-)

What's working: I have found that hands-on lessons with frequent changes of subject or approach keep their attention and makes learning fun.  Fun learning = real learning.  :-)

What I'm reading: A Mother's Rule of Life, Imitation of Christ.

Who I'm praying for: my husband's grandmother.  She is like another grandmother to me.  She fell last week and the hospital said that she fractured her pelvis.  The doctor at the rehab they sent her to only 3 days later found 6 fractures in all (the hospital overlooked 5!) and kidney damage from the pain medication administered to her at the hospital.   This is a very active woman, who even at 86, lives alone, drives, goes to lunch with her best friend everyday, etc.  Please keep her in your prayers, as well.

A quote or photo to share:  "The world admires only spectacular sacrifice, because it does not realize the value of sacrifice that is hidden and silent."--St. Josemaria Escriva

Here is a photo of Kiddo #4 helping me make french toast for our "breakfast for dinner" night on Saturday.  :-)

I am linking up with Homeschool Mother's Journal and Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.  Come over and share about your week!

21 comments:

Julie said...

I love all science museums!! I think it rolls back to the "Real Learning is Hands on!"
I like the bean idea!

Jen said...

"The weeks just continue to fly by! :-)" they most certainly do!!

what a neat sounding and looking museum

what a LOT of meatballs!!

you have some interesting links which Im off to check out :)

lastly my thoughts and prayers are with your hubbys grandmother

Sonshine Classical Academy said...

What a great week! Looks like lots of fun was had by all!

Kate said...

I love the good deeds/sacrifice jar!! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

As usual a busy and fun week! We are doing the lenten calendar and the beans, my kids are really hoping they turn into jelly beans on Easter!! :) Have a great weekend.

Jen said...

Sounds like you guys had a wonderful week! Praying for your husbands grandmother. My GIL is the same way. :) Love the bean idea!!

Dawn said...

What a great post. That museum sounds AWESOME! And the bean thing...great idea! And, I just gave my guys all haircuts over the last week too. *grin*

Unknown said...

What a fantastic week :) Seems like you are always hopping over in Philly!! So sorry to hear about your grandma - I'll continue to pray for her.

Unknown said...

you know I'm crazy about the kids in the kitchen stuff :) feel free to use this one for Kids in the Kitchen on Tuesdays if you can link up with us - Science Museums rock! we love them - maybe we'll get out and go do that tomorrow :) good idea! so sorry about your hubs/your grandmother - It's hard when we love - #praying for her right now!!! God bless-

Traci's Teaching Times said...

Hi Lisa, great week! I like the bean jar idea. May have to try that one.
Someone is going to eat a lot of meatballs.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a wonderful weekend.

Traci's Teaching Times said...

Oh, & frgot to say that I will be praying for your hubby's grandmother.

Michelle @ Changed By The Maker said...

As usual, Lisa, you have so much going on! How do you find the time to blog as well! I'm amazed.

I really felt inspired by your Lenten activities. I'll be honest, we do not over-emphasize the season...it had become a stale routine (without faith attached) when I was younger, and I let it go by the wayside.

However,as as I read your post, I felt inspired to consider picking up some intentional act or service, something unique for us to focus on during this time before Easter.

As my husband reminded our sons tonight, Jesus rising from the grave is the hinge of our faith. Without that act, the rest is meaningless.

I may be too late for this year, but your post might have breathed a little life into my plans for next year. Thanks!

Kay said...

That museum sounds amazing!! We will have to hit that next tie we do Philly.

We also did haircuts this week. It was so necessary. The boys were quite bushy. Now the girls need to find time to do ours :-(

We will be praying for your Grandmother. I broke my ankle once and not having full mobility was horrible!!! I pray she heels well and can enjoy her lunches again!!

Anonymous said...

Love all the photos of y'all cooking and enjoying hands-on learning! Looks like a beautiful week:) We will be praying for peace, comfort, and healing for your husband's grandmother.

Mary said...

Incredible week. Science museums are always awesome - and so are meatballs! Saying a little prayer for your husband's grandmother.

Unknown said...

10 pounds of meatballs? Wow! That's a lot of meatballs! LOL (Of course you have 3 boys so you're feeding a lot! My boys eat a ton!)

Hodgepodgemom said...

Fabulous week! Love all the cooking and - as you say - short, hands on learning.

Kym said...

I loved visiting the Franklin Institute, it is a great museum!! So much to see there. We are hoping to go again sometime this year.

gail said...

tried to comment last night, didn't work, so i'll try again: sounds like a wonderful museum! i wish we had more things like that nearby. how fun to cook and bake together :) love the quote too - so true!

momto8 said...

your house looks like a fun to place to be...and learn!! I love to see kids helping....because I know the joy and satisfaction they feel when they do!!
happy Lent!
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

Carrie said...

What a great group of photos! From making 10 lbs of meatballs, WOW, to yummy cookies in cute cookie cutter shapes, to bowling and haircuts! Busy mom you are! Thank you so much for linking up with us at Kids in the Kitchen! Hope to see you again next week! Carrie @ http://younglivingoillady.com