Thursday, February 9, 2012

Homeschool Mother's Journal/Weekly-Wrap-Up February 10

In my life/homeschool this week: Friday was a great day.  Firstly, we did some wonderful scientific experiments on sound.  I found the experiments on NASA's website.  We did the "Dancing Wire."  We filled glasses with water and when we rubbed our fingers on the side of the glass, the sound produced made the wire dance all around, in addition to some lovely sounds.  I also told the kiddos all about artists who perform musical works on glasses and we watched some videos of them and the glass armonica invented by Benjamin Franklin.





Kiddo #2 created a family game night on power point.  It was so creative and fun!  He came up with word puzzles that we had to solve.



(just in case you were wonderfing, the answer here was "Chosen Few," lol)  :-)


Saturday was a special day-- Kiddo #4's Father-Daughter dance at church.  We are so blessed to belong to a church community that has such events.  She and her daddy had an awesome time.  You can see how beautiful she looked here.

Sunday, of course was church and then preparing for the Super Bowl.  Kiddos #2 and 4 made decorations, put out special plates and napkins and Kiddo #1 baked a special cake.  We are Philadelphia fans here, but since the Eagles were eliminated in the first round and my hubby is originally from New Jersey and the Giants play in New Jersey, we routed for the Giants!






On Monday, we started work on our Jamestown Notebooking project.  We wrote about the ships, identified Jamestown on the map, started a timeline and read about Pocahantas.  We are hoping, that as we continue the study, we will add in all of the pictures from our trip to Jamestown back in November.

Tuesday's highlight was a trip to the local Nature Center.  The weather is supposed to a little nasty(maybe snow?) tomorrow, so we wanted to take advantage of another beautiful, sunny and pleasant day. 





We hiked the trails,


went to the Bird Observatory,




saw the pond




 and the indoor exhibits. 

We are lucky to have such a gem right in our township.

On Wednesday, we baked homemade Valentine's Day cookies for the kiddos' classmates at their classes at church.  You can get my recipe and see photos of them making their cookies here.

Thursday was an uneventful, just get down to the grind kind of day, with Kiddos 1 and 2 studying for a Biology lab quiz and doing Pre-Algebra assignments.  Kiddos 3 and 4 continued with their Apologia Zoology work.  We learned about bears and otters today.  Did you know that a polar bear and grizzly bear mix is called a Pizzly bear?  Neither did I.  :-)

Friday, I am hoping to complete the work that we were doing on Thursday and make some special St. Valentine's Day craft.  I will include photos in next week's journal! 


What's working: Definitely this beautiful weather!  We have been out and about and getting lots of fresh air.  Love it! (especially after 2 record-breaking winters.)  The kids, on the other hand, are wishing for some snow.  :-)

What I'm reading: A Mother's Rule of Life, The Imitation of Christ

What I'm cooking: My favorites this week were veggie stir fry tortillas and pasta and peas.

What I'm praying for: Those who are ill, needing/having surgery, who are grieving......

A quote or photo to share: "When our knowledge cannot traverse the distance from our heads to
our hearts, we are suffering from spiritual emptiness. Smart is not one of the fruits of the Spirit." - Dr. R.C. Sproul Jr.



Just a sweet photo of Kiddos 2 and 4 sharing some time together.  :-)



19 comments:

Julie said...

What a cool science experiment!

Sounds like a great week. I especially love the nature center. Is that a box turtle?

Unknown said...

Wow! Nice job on that powerpoint! Oh, and I love the zigzag blanket. Did you crochet/knit it?

Chareen said...

Excellent quote!

Love the experiment idea. Would never have thought of looking on the NASA website for science experiments.

love you sharing about Notebooking. I want to start this with Sir N

Unknown said...

A full week indeed! We have a similar nature center not too far from us and the kids love it. Last year we saw deer and watched snakes get fed. We are gearing up for St. Valentine's Day next week, it's one of my favorite. We are going to spend Mon and Tuesday doing some fun things. Have a great weekend! Blessings

Mary said...

Looks like great fun. Love the afghans!! We have a couple similiar ones lying around our house.

gail said...

can i come over and join you on some field trips? :) sounds like a great week - glad you have been able to get outside. great quote too!

Aloha Acres said...

I always look forward to seeing your pictures. Your kids are so creative!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You get a lot done in a week! I love that science experiment!

Unknown said...

What a fun week you had!! I love reading about all the different things that you do!

Sonshine Classical Academy said...

What a great experiment! I'm pinning this to remember for later. I also need to check out the Mother's Rule book. Thanks for sharing.

Mama Bird said...

Such a cute turtle you found, I love getting the kids outside one of the great perks of homeschooling

B. Martin said...

Sounds like a fun week. We have a father/daughter dance tomorrow. My girls are so excited! Your nature center looks great! We have been having great outside weather lately too!

Judy Hoch said...

You do such a nice job of helping your children learn in creative ways!
I considered using Apologia science for my 5th and 3rd grade boys this year, but they requested PACEs. Maybe next year! :-)

Unknown said...

Oh, how nice! My grandmother made a couple zigzag yarn blankets for me too. They're terrible colors, but I wouldn't change them! (She passed away 6 months ago.) They are precious things, huh?

Carrie said...

Oh, the sound experiment looks intriguing! I may have to search for that online (plus it meets my simple test, LOL) Thanks for sharing your week, Lisa!

flmom said...

Okay, veggie stir fry tortillas sounds soooooooooooooooo good! If you have the recipe anywhere on your blog, please let me know. I love that you have the bird observatory - that is very cool! That would be one place I'd want to hang out for a good while.

Traci's Teaching Times said...

Great week, I'll have to check out the sound experiment when we get to our Module on sound in our Apologia.
We need to plan a game night. We haven't had one in a while. It has been at least a month.

Becca said...

So cool he made his own power point! Will have to ponder that for my kids!

Michelle @ Changed By The Maker said...

Great to catch up with you, Lisa. I just wanted to let you know that the link for Make Life Meaningful Monday is up for tomorrow.If you'd like to link-up,you are very welcome!