Thursday, February 2, 2012

Homeschool Mother's Journal/Weekly wrap-up February 3rd

It is February already!  When did this happen?  :-) 

What I did just realize is that my camera was set to "2011" instead of "2012."  OOPS!  Hubby gave it to me for Christmas.  We picked it up on the 12th day of Christmas (yes, I was singing the song, lol) and I guess I was still used to 2011 and I was thinking Christmas because that is what I programmed in.  My kids just realized it, so the first month of photos taken all have the wrong year.  :-)  I did just change it.

It has been an event-filled week in our family.

In my life/homeschool this week: On Friday, I had the pleasure of meeting two of my bloggy friends IRL.  You can read about it here.

On Saturday, our daughter made her First Penance.  What a beautiful and touching service.  Kiddo was chosen to read parts of the Prodigal Son story.  She did a beautiful job.  We were so proud of her!



Saturday was also my parents' 45th wedding anniversary and my dad's 71st birthday.  The kids each made something to celebrate the occasion.  Kiddo #1 baked a special cake.  Kiddo #3 made them an amazing powerpoint presentation with animation and effects.  Kiddo #4 wrote and performed her own songs and Kiddo #2 made them an animated movie.







After church on Sunday, Kiddo #4 did some volunteer work there and then came home to join us in a nice, relaxed afternoon of play.  Sunday night found us watching the Pro-bowl together to pizza and other bad-for-you snack foods.  :-)  Hey, you have to indulge every now and again, right?  Kiddo #2, the sports fanatic, is already counting down to next week's Super Bowl.  If this kid doesn't become a sportcaster...if you name him any Super Bowl (and there have been 45 of them so far), he can tell you which teams played, who won, what the score was....Wow.  He makes powerpoint presentations on the seasons of various teams, their statistics, etc, all with pretty impressive animations and effects!

Monday was music lessons for all of the kiddos in addition to the bi-weekly biology lab for Kiddos #1 and 2.  This session they were learning about starfish and preparing to dissect them.







On Tuesday, we were blessed with amazing spring-like weather.  We took advantage of this and went to the park after lunch.  I love how the kiddos organized their own little baseball game.  Kiddos #1 and 2 patiently pitched to the youngers and "allowed" them to reach base, lol.  :-)  Very sweet.  They also all had fun on the playground equipment.  What a gorgeous day!  Glad we got to be outside and enjoy it.







On Wednesday, we did a fun experiment as part of our study on sound waves.  You can read about it here.

Since Thursday was Groundhog Day, we did a couple of activities to commemorate it.  :-)  The younger two made "Groundhog booklets" filled with facts about groundhogs (did you know they also are called woodchucks?) and pictures to color.  The older two had a grammar worksheet on groundhogs to complete filled with synonyms, antonyms and homonyms having to do with the day.  Both were found at Enchanted Learning.  We also watched Phil on You-tube since we weren't up early enough to see it live.  Now the kids want to visit Punxsutawney.  :-)







What's working: Definitely the hands-on activities.  I need to keep up with the ideas and planning to be sure my children have these learning experiences.  They remember and learn so much more when they are completely engaged and involved in that learning.

What I'm cooking: My favorite this week was a stir-fry I made over rice.

What I'm praying for: there are so many people who are suffering or who are ill and have asked for prayers.  I also keep my family and friends in my daily prayers.

A photo or quote to share: I actually have one of each to share this week:

Kiddo #1 took this with my new camera.  Wow!  Did I mention he loves to take photos as well as bake and build and fly airplanes?  lol!  :-)

"What a sad life does he lead who wants both to please the world and to serve God! Apart from the fact that you are going to be unhappy all the time, you can never attain the stage at which you will be able to please the world and please God." - Saint John Vianney (1786-1859)

14 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great wrap-up!! That starfish lab looks interesting and the picture?! Amazing!!

Unknown said...

Wow on that moon photo! (Wouldn't that be a perfect gift for the photographer in a great frame?)

And baseball! We sign up for softball in March, but play doesn't happen until the end of April (in hopes the snow will be gone then).

gail said...

another fun-filled week with adorable kids :) that moon photo is amazing - i want a camera that does that! have a good weekend!

Annette M. Heidmann said...

Wonderful wrap up! :) I love the format of the homeschool mother's journal... I'll have to try it out! Your pics are terrific. Thanks for sharing!

Allison said...

Great stuff, as always. God bless your sweet girl. I have to organize this for my little girl soon, too.

The moon picture is a total WOW!

Monique G. said...

Wonderful weekly wrap-up.
My son makes his 1st Penance on the 25th of this month. He is very excited!

Anonymous said...

What a great week! I love what your children did for your parents:)

Love all the hands-on fun and play time. The photo of your daughter running outside just made me smile...such joy and freedom wrapped up in that photo!

Carrie said...

Oh! I love your son's photo of the moon! Fabulous! You had a busy week. I agree, hands-on activities are a huge plus. We did a couple of quick, easy experiments and the kids loved it! Congratulations on your daughter's penance! I still remember mine and how nervous I was - I wanted to get everything right! And we use the Bible my grandmother gave me after the ceremony :) Have a blessed weekend!

Lora @ my blessed life said...

What an awesome week you've had! How cool that your kiddos are getting to dissect things in a biology lab. And I have to say that pic of the moon is amazing! Congrats on your new camera:)

Julie said...

The starfish lab looks great. The moon picture...WOW!

Patty said...

Congratulations to your little girl! And that moon photo...superb!

Stopping in from Catholic Bloggers (round up addition)

Nikki @ Simplystriving said...

Amazing wrap up! Your children are so amazing and so blessed to have you encouraging them to shine their own way like you do. So glad to have "met" you on this little thing we call blogosphere ;)
Blessings!
~Nikki (simplystriving)

Traci's Teaching Times said...

Your children are amazing! My daughter is learning to do power points also. She also likes photography. I really should push her to pursue it more. Great photo & week.

Anonymous said...

One of the things I miss being Presbyterian is all of the wonderful sacraments of the Catholic church. We do have Confirmation, but no Communion or Penance. Such a special time and Kiddo #4 looked radiant!

It was so great meeting you guys--we keep talking about it!

That starfish lab looks really cool.