Thursday, February 16, 2012

Homeschool Mother's Journal/Weekly Wrap-Up February 17

Another week gone.  They are just flying by.  Please forgive the cliche, but it is true.  They just seem to accelerate at a pace that make me dizzy!  :-)

In my life/homeschool this week: Monday was music lessons for the kiddos in addition to Kiddos 1 and 2 completing their dissection of the starfish in their Biology lab. 






Bless the heart of my friend who hosts it in her home. I couldn't imagine having the lingering smell of formaldehyde in my dining room. :-) I also participated in a weekly meme called "Make Life Meaningful Monday." You can see the post (and fun photos) here.

Tuesday was Valentine's Day.  We started with heart-shaped pancakes and made heart wreaths.  We even attended a homeschool Valentine's Day skating party.  I posted lots of pics from our day here, on my Thankful Thursday post.  It was a fun St. Valentine's Day.  :-) 



I also hosted my very first linky party called "Try a New Recipe Tuesday."  You can see all of the recipes that were posted here.  Come join us next week!  I'd love to have more new recipes to try!  :-)

Wednesday's highlight was making our "Scripture banks."  I printed on sticker paper several Scripture verses that stress the importance of saving.  You can see photos of them and the kiddos here.  Kiddos #1 and 2 also finished up quarterly tests for their Pre-Algebra, while Kiddos #3 and 4 worked on their Apologia Zoology work.  They were mapping each animal they have studied in this chapter.



Thursday was uneventful, which I guess is a good thing after our busy week.  :-)  Just tying up some loose ends from the week.  Not sure what is on the agenda for Friday.  Maybe I'll be spontaneous and surprise them with something!  Stay tuned.    ;-)

What's working: Definitely hands-on, fun learning experiences and being able to do schoolwork in their pajamas.  :-)  Love, laughter and encouragement help in getting work done (and done well) far more than raised voices and tension.  We talk a lot about being joyful and always having a heart full of gratitude.

What I'm reading:  A Mother's Rule of Life, The Imitation of Christ

What I'm praying for: many people have asked for prayers for loved ones, for husbands being deployed, for those who are sick, who have lost their jobs......

A quote or photo to share:  "We say many things, perform many deeds, and suffer very many things through which, if charity were abundant in our hearts, directing and ordering all things to God, our true end, we would indeed become much more fruitful in merits and far richer in virtue." - Blessed Jordan of Saxony (1190-1237)


(this was taken from on our visit to the Nature Center last week.  I just loved how Kiddo #3, while in the Bird Observatory picked up a book and was trying to find out more about the birds)


I am linking up with Homeschool Mother's Journal and Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.  Come over and share about your week.  :-)

16 comments:

Unknown said...

looks like a fabulous week to me! love that last pic - that's what happens when they learn to love learning!

Rebecca said...

Lisa, I LOVE that quote. The dissecting...I have to admit looks like fun...except for the smell. We dissected owl pellets last year....no smell, but quite interesting! Looks like another fun week in your home!

Kay said...

We had a jammie day this week also. I just love Apologia, but I need to get them hooked up with someone who can do the dissecting :-( I don't think I can do it.

You sure had a busy week, I hope today can be relaxing for you.

The Sierra Home Companion said...

I too love doing school work in our pj's. :)

Unknown said...

I always enjoy your weekly wrap up posts - you seem to get so much done and have SO much fun doing it :) happy Friday!

Unknown said...

Isn't EVERYDAY PJ Day?! LOL If we don't have anywhere to go, we stay in our toasty PJs until lunchtime and change then. It makes for a comfy morning of learning!

Unknown said...

Do you have a button for your Try a New Recipe Tuesday? Am I missing it? LOL Oh, and the cheesecake recipe is on my Tried and True Pinterest board. Looking forward to seeing more of your cookin'!

Traci's Teaching Times said...

Great week, my children are going to love Biology when we get to it. I'm just not sure how I am going to like it, LOL. And we don't have many Co- Op groups around for someone else to lead the disections. I'm in for it.

Karen said...

I can't believe a friend hosted the dissection. Keilee took a class last week at our local Science Museum, thank goodness! I always hated that smell. I can still remember it. What a great week you had.

Karen said...

Oh I meant to tell you re. Lap books and notebooks. Notebooks are NO cutting and gluing. There are notebook sheets. So after the entire unit is done you can either put it in a notebook or make a little book from it.

MissMOE said...

Looks like a full and fabulous week! Love to see your kids smiling face as they work and have fun--such joy!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful week...I had to go back and read about the past two days that I've missed:) Goodness, y'all have been busy, but what a blessing to spend all that fun, hands-on time together as family. We need to go roller skating too...sounds like fun!

I really like the quote you shared.

The Adventurer said...

Great week, love you are dissecting, I promised the kids we would do it this summer so it can be done outside:)

Mary said...

Ewww- dissecting is always a hit at our house! Looks like a great week!

Michelle @ Changed By The Maker said...

That biology lab sounds like the ticket, but I agree that the smell would be too much to take! We are using Apologia's Astronomy, but I'm thinking about Zoology. Have you liked using it? Great stuff going on at your house, Lisa!

Blessed little homestead said...

Hands on learning in your PJ's.. Thats the best way! Looks like a great week!