This delightful book is the first book in a new series. Let me just say that we are anxiously awaiting the release of the next title!
The book focuses on the life of teenager Andrea Carter in 1880s California. This is a work of Christian historical fiction that is geared for readers ages 12+.
There is a downloadable study guide, which is free and accompanies the book and will be enormously helpful when I read the book with my daughter. The Study guide has 40 pages full of thought-provoking discussion questions, vocabulary lessons and more.
The other series from Circle C are the following (but are in no means necessary to have read before reading this book. I had never read them and was fully able to immerse myself in the life of Andrea Carter, literally hanging on to every word!)
Circle C Beginnings- children ages 6-9
Circle C Adventures- children ages 9-12
Circle C Milestones (of which this book is the first!)- ages 12+
There is even Goldtown Adventures for boys 9-12!
We just love incorporating literature into our homeschool, especially historical fiction. It brings the period of our history to life for my children and makes it so much more real and relevant than a few bland pages from a textbook.
For the purpose of this review, I read the book. It isn't very often I get to enjoy a good book that isn't a homeschooling book of some kind! Also, I have to be honest, I always read a book before I would have my children read it and I can definitely without a doubt say that this book passed my "mom" test and that we will be reading it together in school soon, as we just happen to be getting to this period in American history.
As the story opens, Andi, the protagonist, is in the barn worried as her beloved horse Taffy is laboring to give birth. It is a difficult delivery of twins, and Andi's brother skillfully, not only delivers the foals, but assures Andi that Taffy will be fine because she noticed that something must have been wrong. Andi literally spends the entire cold night by her horse's side.
Andi yearns to help at the ranch full time. It is where her heart lies. It is at her mother's assistance that she attend school. The plot thickens as a new girl named Macy is assigned to sit next to her. Macy seems to be troubled. I so enjoyed seeing how it all would turn out. There are definitely unexpected twists and turns. This book has a perfect balance of adventure and examples of moral behavior. It is by no means preachy and keeps its readers engaged and interested.
The overall theme of this heartwarming novel is friendship-- not to judge someone by their appearances or their station in life. Macy is mean-spirited and wild. Andi looks past this, difficult as it may be, because of the lessons her mother taught her about walking a mile in another person's shoes. Isn't this an important lesson that all of our children need to have? Andi wonders if she could even trust Macy. I will not spoil the outcome, but let's just say that the friendship that emerges will make your heart smile.
To read a sample of Thick as Thieves click here.
The next book in the series, Heartbreak Trail is due out in July. I can't wait to read it. There is an excerpt here if you would like to take a look.
You can order personalized copies of the book here for only $9.99.
Social Media:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CircleCAdventures
Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/SuzyScribbles

Don't miss a thing! Subscribe to Home to 4 Kiddos by Email and get our posts sent right to your inbox!


1 comment:
Thanks so much for your lovely review of Thick as Thieves. Glad it passed the "Mom" test. Boy, I got tired of pre-reading books when I was homeschooling. *eye strain*
I finally had to give up and figure the boys had had enough training to discern (especially the fantasy-lover teen boy who read like a fiend). I like LOTR and Narnia, but I'm afraid I don't like most fantasy, so after reading one of the Christian fantasy books from the "Dragons in Our Midst" series by Bryan Daly and pronouncing it "fine" (if not my cup of tea; I mean really? Half-dragon, have human? That's even too far out for me), I let him loose on the rest.
Anyway, that was sure off-topic, but fun to have memories about those wonderfully crazy homeschool days (I homeschooled by day; wrote by night).
Thanks again!
Susan
Post a Comment