Do you remember the Standard Deviants videos on VHS tape (or am I showing my age? lol)? I enjoyed watching them and showing them to students when I was a classroom teacher. So, needless to say, I was excited when given the opportunity to review their homeschool program.
They have so many options and courses for grades 3-12, including Advanced Placement. The courses are as follows:
Arithmetic- Grades 3+
Fundamental Math- Grades 4+
Earth Science- Grades 6+
Nutrition- Grades 6+
Algebra- Grades 7+
Biology- Grades 7+
Chemistry- Grades 9+
English Composition- Grades 9+
U.S. History- Grades 9+
A.P. Biology- Grades 11+
A.P. Chemistry- Grades 11+
A.P. U.S. Government and Politics- Grades 11+
A.P. U.S. History- Grades 11+
A.P. English Composition- Grades 11+
Kiddo #3 worked on the Arithmetic during the review period. Kiddo #4 is looking forward to the
Nutrition videos in the future. I'm sure we will dabble in some of the others, as well. :-)
When I first received access to the program, I was on a parent's page where I set up my account. I
chose the course for my son and was given an access coe. When his account was set up (on a separate student screen), that access code was entered. I did this for him. I had to use my hubby's email address for Kiddo, since he doesn't have his own yet and the program requires a separate email address for both parent and child.
Once the code was entered, he was ready to begin. The videos are fast paced and presented by college-aged actors and actresses. They are very catchy with a lot of movement, music and sound. The videos were about 10-15 minutes long. Some even shorter.
After the student views the video, they can go to the tab that has all of the vocabulary that was used in the lesson. The diagram tab brings the student to a grab and drag section with the words from the lesson. If they put the word in the incorrect section, the word will not stay. The quiz section has 5 questions from the video. If the child gets one wrong, it will show the segment of the video that explains the correct answer. I like the instant feedback and explanation! The last tab, written explanation, is one that is graded by the parent. The material in every tab can be printed out for those who like to have a printed record to read and study.
Kiddo found that these videos were a "fun and different" way to do math and certainly a welcome supplement to his current program. It was very fast-paced and sometimes with math, you will need, as we did, to watch something more than once, especially if it is the first time they are being exposed to the particular topic. I like that the program had visual, auditory and tactile components-- something for every learning style!
Here is a closer look at what was covered in the Arithmetic program that Kiddo was using:
a. whole numbers
b. place value
c. comparing numbers
d. rouding whole numbers
e. the number line
f. decimals
2) Addition and Subtraction
a. addition
b. subtraction
c. estimating
d. problem solving
3) Multiplying Whole Numbers
a. multiplication basics
b. multiplying bigger numbers
c. the distributive property
d. word problems
e. multiplying with a calculator
f. problem-solving
4) Dividing Whole Numbers
a. division basics
b. long division
c. factors
5) Understanding Decimals
a. decimal basics
b. adding and subtracting decimals
c. multiplying and dividing decimals
d. rounding decimals
e. scientific notation
f. problem solving using decimals
6) Understanding Fractions
a. fraction basics
b. mixed numbers and improper fractions
c. common factors and reducing fractions
d. converting fractions to decimals
e. common denominators
7) Ecology
a. diversity of organisms
b. population ecology
c. communities and ecosystems
d. global issues
8) Patterns and Graphs
a. patterns
b. pictographs
c. bar graphs
d. line graphs
e. probability and outcomes
f. prime and composite numbers

Don't miss a thing! Subscribe to Home to 4 Kiddos by Email and get our posts sent right to your inbox!
For the regular courses, homeschoolers can purchase a course for use by one student for $99 for a year or $24.95 per month. AP courses are available for one student for $14.95.
To find Standard Deviants Accelerate online:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SDAccelerate
Twitter: https://twittercom/SDAccelerate
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/SDAccelerate
Google+: google.com/+SDaccerlate
Here a video on how their student account works:

Don't miss a thing! Subscribe to Home to 4 Kiddos by Email and get our posts sent right to your inbox!




No comments:
Post a Comment