This year, you have already read about our Kind Words Cross and Sacrifice Bean Jar.
We also are watching the Holy Heroes Lenten Adventure videos that are emailed MWF as well as doing their supplemental puzzles, coloring pages, etc.
We are reading some special books that help us understand the meaning of this season and why it is so important to us
Today we read "Benjamin's Box." What a lovely story of a young boy who witnesses first hand the last several days of Jesus' life and collects bits and pieces for his "Treasure Box." Those items come to represent different aspects of the Passion and Resurrection. I think we're going to do our own Resurrection Eggs soon that correspond with Benjamin's treasures.
My husband and I are attending a Lenten Faith Sharing with other couples from our church. We have been participating a couple of years for both Advent and Lent, and it has been a wonderful experience to grow in our faith and be encouraged by others, who are like-minded and valued.
I hope that your Lent has been meaningful so far. There are still many weeks to go, with much opportunity for prayer, sacrifice, fasting and almsgiving.
Some may ask, 'what is almsgiving?' Almsgiving has always been an important part of Lent. For many, it means giving of one's financial means to a charity or other good cause. I believe the concept of almsgiving goes much deeper. It is our response to the teachings of Jesus to reach out to people in need-- not just with our money-- but with our time and talents. Some may call it "stewardship." Lent gives us the opportunity to cultivate a spirit of generosity. It gives us a chance to share what we have and who we are with other people. It puts us in communion with others and helps us understand that we are all members of the Body of Christ.
I try to teach my children, that while "giving something up for Lent" is a good thing, since it is a form of fasting and penance that fosters spiritual growth, that they should also look for something positive to "add" to their lives, as well; something that will bring them closer to God, whether it be at home, in our church community, etc. It is a journey. One that culminates in the beauty of Easter.
Linking up with: On, in and around Mondays in addition to Wisdom Wednesday, Living Well Wednesday, Mom's Monday Mingle, Monday Mingle, Modest Mom, Crazy Mama, Homemaking Wednesdays and Raising Mighty Arrows and Titus 2sday and Clever Chicks Blog Hop and Memoir Monday and Mondays with Countrified Hicks and Create with Joy
2 comments:
Thanks Lisa, for linking up and sharing your Lenten journey!
Love it....
I always enjoy your pics!Wish we lived a little closer than
200 ( or so ? ) miles....
Love ya, friend...
x
Chris
I love the way you teach your children about your faith! Truly you exemplify "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it." While I am not Catholic, I have always had a deep respect for your faith and have had many Catholic friends through my life. We have much in common when it comes to our love for God, our Savior Jesus Christ and our families and our desire for true discipleship. Thank you for sharing your Lenten journey. You are a great example and inspiration to me!
Post a Comment