Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Review and Giveaway in time for Advent!


Are you looking to spend some special time with your family this Advent focusing on what is truly important?

"Destination: Bethlehem A Family Advent Adventure," by Sharon Altman and Christine Winkelman is a wonderful, engaging adventure that in its 24 chapters, can be read every night in December leading up to Christmas.

On the back cover the book reads, "Two boys, Isaac and Jediah, experience adventure while traveling through ancient Palestine.  As their journey unfolds, the boys find themselves at the heart of the Nativity Story and gradually realize God's greatest promise, the birth of the Messiah is at hand."

I found that each chapter was short enough to be read in around 10-15 minutes.  I look forward to reading these chapters with my children this Advent.  I change our entire homeschool focus during the Advent season.  It is so important to give them (and me!)  the proper focus leading up to Christmas and I know this book will be a part of our daily Advent activities.

There is also an optional activity of a little package that you could give to your children each day that represents something from that chapter.  I like that many of the items are things that we probably already have in the house.  I can't wait to see the look in their eyes as they try to guess what each little package may contain.  I know that will open the avenue for much discussion and learning.

There are pages entitled "Travel Guide to the Past" after each chapter that give some historical information about what is going on in the chapter and ties it all in magnificently with the Bible.  For example, after chapter 18, we are told that "Jediah's family traveled on the same treacherous pathway that Jesus later spoke about in the parable of the Good Samaritan."  The boys' journey even takes them through Gethsemane before reaching the hills of Bethlehem.

Part I of the book begins with "Isaac's Journey," a year before Christ's birth.  The last chapter has the boys in the Cave at Bethlehem on Christmas Eve.  Such a beautiful and heartwarming journey!

The authors have graciously given me an autographed copy to be won by one of my lucky readers!  I want to be sure that the giveaway will take place for you to have the book in time for the beginning of Advent, which is only a little more than a month away!  Wow!  :-)



You can enter the giveaway 6 times.  Please leave a comment for each.  Be sure to include your email address.  :-)

1) Leave a comment.  Why would you like to win this book?
2) Follow my blog via GFC
3) Subscribe to my blog via email
4) Blog about the giveaway
5) Mention the giveaway on Facebook
6) Tweet about the giveaway

Kiddo #4 will draw the winner on Friday, November 9th.  Good luck!  I am SO excited about this giveaway!  :-)

**The authors provided me with a copy of their book in exchange for an honest review on my blog.**

66 comments:

Monique G. said...

What wonderful giveaway. I would enjoy sharing this with my children.

Monique G. said...

Follow by GFC

Monique G. said...

Email subscriber

Monique G. said...

Shared on facebook

Kat M said...

This would be really fun to win. I like changing how we do advent every so often, so it would be nice to have something new.

Unknown said...

I would love to win this, I love doing advent things with the kids.

Unknown said...

shared on facebook

Tammy said...

Always looking for new ways to keep the kids engaged in the Liturgical year. This sounds great! Thanks!

Tammy said...

Followed on GFC

Tammy said...

Subscribed to email

Held Together said...

What a wonderful sounding book. i am beginning to look for a new Advent book to excite things a little. i may not have to look any further.

Held Together said...

Now an authorized email subscriber. :)

Nope said...

Hi, I have wanted this book for long time:) I also shared on Facebook:)

Lisa Boyle said...

Second entry for Dessi for FB sharing. :-)

Unknown said...

As a mom, I am always looking for ways to grow my children's faith. I would love to read this book with them this Advent!

Unknown said...

Now subscribe to GFC

Unknown said...

Posted on facebook

Unknown said...

Now subscribed by email

Susan aka crazylady said...

Every year we buy a new Christmas story book. this would help continue the tradition.

Savannah McQueen said...

I hope you'll consider linking this to "Look! What We Did!" -Savannah http://lookwhatwedid-homeschool.blogspot.com

One_crazy_mom said...

I would like to win the book so I can have a new way of making Advent meaningful for my children.

Maria said...

I first heard of this book a year or two ago & thought it sounded great. I'd love to win it to share w/ my family.

I've just started following your blog, too!

Lisa Boyle said...

Second entry for Maria, above, for becoming a follower.

Lisa Boyle said...

Second entry for Maria, above, for becoming a follower.

Rebekah said...

We would love to have a structured ready at hand resource to read each night for Advent. Thank you for your generosity and for alerting us to this great resource.

Unknown said...

Lisa, this sounds like a great book to have at Advent!

madmom said...

I every Advent I read a story like this to my four children. We had many repeats over the years as there seem to be a lack of good stories that lead up to Christmas. This one sounds just like the one we need this year!
Carola in MI

Natalie Anderson said...

This sounds like a great book for my history loving boys!

Natalie Anderson said...

Followed by email

Natalie Anderson said...

Followed on GFC

Natalie Anderson said...

Shared on Facebook

Natalie Anderson said...

Tweeted giveaway

Unknown said...

I have returned to the Church after several years away. I think this book would be a wonderful resource that I can use to teach my children about Advent.

Unknown said...

Followed via GFC

info@emmacatarino.com

Unknown said...

Subscribed via email

info@emmacatarino.com

Heather said...

I came here for the "Try a new recipe Tuesday" and found out about the giveaway! I would love to win this and share it with my boys! Thanks for hosting a giveaway.

Heather said...

Okay, I subscribed to your blog by email. Until now I was using a toolbar bookmark :)

Anonymous said...

I have wanted this book for a long time!

Anonymous said...

I shared this to Facebook for another entry!!

Anonymous said...

I followed your blog via GFC for another entry!!

Laura O in AK said...

I love having something laid out for seasons like Advent as it's easier to stick to them.

Karen said...

Oh I would love to win this book. I could read this to much children as part of our nightly celebration of Advent.

Karen said...

Following through GFC.

Karen said...

Tweeted your giveaway.

Karen said...

Shared your giveaway on FB.

Laura said...

Would love to have this for my younger kids as I think they will really enjoy it.

Marcee Rodgers said...

Every year I plan to do something for Advent, but just never seem to get around to it. It would be wonderful to have something like this!

Marcee Rodgers said...

I Tweeted:
https://twitter.com/The_MorningCup/status/263700114806280193

Marcee Rodgers said...

I shared on FB:
https://www.facebook.com/marcee.rodgers/posts/428104170583321

Marcee Rodgers said...

I Follow via GFC

Marcee Rodgers said...

I Subscribe to your blog via email.

Suzanne B said...

I shared your giveaway via Facebook. :)

Suzanne B said...

I shared your giveaway via FB!

Suzanne B said...

I signed up to follow your blog via email!

Suzanne B said...

This book would be a good way to establish a more meaningful Advent - and start a new tradition here!

Unknown said...

I'd like to win to share it with my 3 boys - keeping Jesus as the reason for the season

Unknown said...

I follow you on GFC ;)

Debbie Jones said...

Would love to be entered in your giveaway.

Debbie Jones said...

Forgot to tell you why I want to win...This would be such a great thing to share with my son and grandchildren. Thanks. Going to share on twitter and facebook! Thank you.

Carrie said...

This sounds lovely! I'm always looking for new and different ways to celebrate Advent. The focus in our house is Christ not always the gifts! Please enter me!

Amy said...

I try to add a new "prepare for Christmas" book to our collection each Advent. With money so tight right now, I'd love to win won!

Tracy said...

Would love to try this book with my daughters this Christmas. And maybe use it with my Religious Ed class.

Tracy said...

Follow you through email

Tracy said...

Blogged about your Giveaway.
www.thereedfamily-blog.blogspot.com

Tracy said...

Follow you on GFC

Unknown said...

Wonderful giveaway....I love reading my kids books! :)