Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thankful Thursday- June 7

June 6, 1944.  Not many people today know why the day is significant or why we should be so thankful.  Perhaps it got 30 seconds on the news.  I noticed that the newspaper gave a small blurb on page 5.

We lost more men on that one day than in the last 8 years in the war on terrorism.  That is so staggering to try to imagine.  The courage, valor and bravery demonstrated that day on the beaches of France is something we should always remember.  What those young men endured and how tragically so many of them died to defeat a madman should resonate within every American's heart and soul. 

This is the legacy that has been passed to each generation since our Founding Fathers defeated a tyrant in the 18th century-- that freedom is not free, that it is something worth fighting for.....worth dying for.  To love the ideals upon which this nation was founded more than life itself is what makes a real hero, not being a sports figure, or a celebrity.  I read an email today that said, "real heroes don't wear capes; they wear dogtags."  How true.

Let us never forget D-Day.  I am grateful for the enormous sacrifice that was made for me by the soldiers of the past and present.  May God bless them all.....

 
Joining with Theresa at Red Oak Lane for her Thankful Thursday linkup.

9 comments:

Nikki @ Simplystriving said...

I commented to my hubby last night that I was so disappointed. Our local channel didn't even mention it on the news...so thankful you took the time to post about it. thank you!

Aloha Acres said...

"We lost more men on that one day than in the last 8 years in the war on terrorism." I never even thought of it that way. Thank you for sharing. We should NEVER forget.

Christina said...

We went to Normandy last year and walked the beaches of D-Day. It was a profound experience. And to walk in the cemetery was overwhelming--to see the rows and rows of crosses. Thanks for sharing this! www.toshowthemjesus.com

Michy (lovingourjourney.com) said...

Thanks for visiting my blog today!! This piece hit my heart...and made me tear. It's very, very near and dear to my heart...you might like my recent posts "Handshake" and "I remember"...
Bless you for posting this.....I wish there were more people like you in this world.
Michy

Michy (lovingourjourney.com) said...

Thanks for visiting my blog today. This really tugs at my heart...so near and dear to me. I am the sister of a Purple Heart Veteran, and those years...oh...I can't quite explain. You might be interested in reading my "handshake" and "I remember" recent posts.
Bless you for being the kind of person who DOESN'T forget, and honors. Thank you so much for touching my heart and bringing this to everyone's attention.
Blessings,
michy

Anonymous said...

How very true. America has forgotten that freedom isn't free. Something that will hurt our country greatly in the long run. God is in control though, this I know! Thanks for the post, from a Navy Brat :) Stoppin back by from Simply Helping Him :)

Eileen Marie Miller said...

Beautiful post to remember those that have fallen to give us our freedoms!

Anonymous said...

Excellent post...thank you for linking up and posting this. I did not remember it was D-Day.

Judy Dudich said...

Thanks for sharing your meme with us at A Thankful Woman's Book of Blessings! What a wonderful tribute your have given our service men and women. We have a dear friend who stormed the beaches at Normandy. He is an honored member of our church parish. I had an uncle (now deceased) who was also on one of the first ships to go ashore. I am thankful that posts like yours help our children learn/remember!
Thanks again for linking up at A Thankful Woman's Book of Blessings. We welcome you each week. Could you add the meme image and a link back to my blog w/your link-up please? Thanks!