Thursday, November 11, 2010

Remembering our Veterans

Today is not just another day.  Looking around, it seems like it, however.  Many schools are open; people going about their regular routines.  Do they realize that it is due to the sacrifices of those who have worn our nation's uniform that they can go about their daily lives freely and without fear?  Do they realize that the principles upon which this nation was founded have been defended and fought for over the last 224 years? 

If you are lucky enough to know a veteran, thank him or her not just today, but everyday.

I received the poem below in an email newsletter today from Fr. John Corapi.  It spoke volumes to me, not only as a soldier's wife, but as a patriot and as an American.  I am proud beyond words of the veterans in my life. Their example has inspired me to be a better person, a better American. May God bless them always and the great nation they protect!





THE FINAL INSPECTION - AUTHOR UNKNOWN




The Soldier stood and faced God,

Which must always come to pass.

He hoped his shoes were shining,

Just as brightly as his brass..



Step forward now, Soldier,

How shall I deal with you?

Have you always turned the other cheek?

To My Church have you been true?'

The soldier squared his shoulders and said,

No, Lord, I guess I ain't.

Because those of us who carry guns,

Can't always be a saint.



I've had to work most Sundays,

And at times my talk was tough.

And sometimes I've been violent,

Because the world is awfully rough.



But, I never took a penny,

That wasn't mine to keep...

Though I worked a lot of overtime,

When the bills got just too steep.



And I never passed a cry for help,

Though at times I shook with fear..

And sometimes, God, forgive me,

I've wept unmanly tears.



I know I don't deserve a place,

Among the people here.

They never wanted me around,

Except to calm their fears



If you've a place for me here, Lord,

It needn't be so grand.

I never expected or had too much,

But if you don't, I'll understand.



There was a silence all around the throne,

Where the saints had often trod.

As the Soldier waited quietly,

For the judgment of his God.



Step forward now, you Soldier,

You've borne your burdens well.

Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,

You've done your time in Hell.'



Author Unknown~

Below is a picture of my husband when he was serving in Iraq 7 years ago.


No comments: