In our homeschool this week: Since we stayed in the Delaware Bay area and actually got to see (and swim) with horseshoe crabs, on Tuesday, we made our own and decided to learn all about them. I had no idea myself that their blood contains a protein that is used in hospitals world wide for detecting and destroying bacteria in vaccines and heart valves. Their shell contains a compound that has been reproduced to make non-allergenic bandages. We also learned that they are gentle and not aggressive. In Bethany Beach, coming across them in the lake was a bit scary, so I was very glad to take the opportunity when we got home to study them and realize that there is nothing scary about them!
On Thursday, we took a field trip to the zoo. We could not have asked for better weather. So many of the animals were awake and alert. The kiddos loved every minute. We were blessed to go with another homeschooling family with whom we have become dear friends, so it made it an all-around wonderful day.
Things I'm working on: trying to fit it "all" in, tweaking the schedule so it is actually feasible and doable. :-) I'm also doing the 1John Bible study with the Good Morning Girls. What a wonderful experience that is turning out to be.
I'm reading: I haven't done a whole lot of reading this week outside of the the Bible study. Just didn't have the time. :-)
I'm cooking: Now that Autumn is here, I am looking forward to using the crockpot more. I will be also doing more baking.
I'm grateful for: my husband's sense of humor and fun-loving attitude, my children's creativity and excitement, meeting like-minded and valued moms and their children, the beautiful colors in the changing leaves, and, a Lord who loves and forgives us over and over again!
I'm praying for: many, many intentions, both mine and others
A photo, video or quote to share:
This was taken at the Nature Center in Bethany Beach. The foliage was just stunning.

14 comments:
I like your new photo header! Enjoyed reading about your week - sounded like fun. I applaud you for swimming with the horseshoe crabs; I doubt I'd be able to even knowing that they're harmless! I too love pulling out the crock pot once the weather cools. I'm discovering different recipes to try online. Have you heard of pumpkin chili? Sounds unusual, so that may be on the short list! Have a blessed weekend!
The beach and the zoo!? Two of our favorite places.
Looks like loads of fun!
We LOVE Bethany Beach :) When we go to the shore we usually stay right down the road in Fenwick Island - how cool!!
Ahh...the zoo. We so need to get there again, it was just too hot, then too rainy...we just need to go!
Have a wonderful weekend!
This is a wonderful post with beautiful pictures. This definitely looks like a place to have a good time and learn a lot. I am happy to pass on the Versatile Blogger award to you. The details are on my Blog. Take care and I wish you and your family a great weekend.
Judy
Stopping by from the Friday Hops to say hello.
Have a great weekend!
POSH
http://poshonabudget.com/2011/10/friday-blog-hop.html
I love your zoo pictures!
how nice to have some time at the beach...and to learn such interesting things about horseshoe crabs! we enjoy the zoo, too. i am also doing the 1 John study and host an email GMGs group :) ooooh, i love baking, just tried a new (vegan) chocolate chip cookie recipe tonight. yum :)
I love the photo on your header. I've never known anything about horseshoe crabs-though I remember vividly coming across hundreds at a beach in Maryland once as a kid. Thanks for sharing all the info about them. And the ones you made look quite real!
Your trip to Delaware looks wonderful. that is on our short list of places we also want to visit! have a great week. stopping by from the HMJ!
Love the zoo picss, especially the polar bear. The jaguar is beautiful as well (looks like a young one). I am so ready for autumn's cooler temps so I can get busy baking. We've had terribly rainy weather the last 48 hours with wind gusts of 45mph. The upside is I was able to turn off the a/c and open some of the windows!
Love, Love, Love your pics! what a week! If you haven't yet, Please Follow back Parga's Junkyard Blogand on facebook as well as on my new networking site Like it Ladder Thanks!
Blog hopping through :)
http://apilgrimsjourney12.blogspot.com/
Blog Hopping through...
http://glowacademy10.blogspot.com/
You're so creative! Love the crab crafts! ;)
I, too, love my crock-pot. One of the best inventions EVER!
Post a Comment