We are so blessed to live in an area with so much history! We visited Graeme Park today, for their annual homeschool festival. Graeme Park was built in 1722 as the summer home of the then Governor of Pennsylvania, Sir William Keith. It's name was from Dr. Graeme who purchased the property from the Keiths. His daughter had a brief engagement to William Franklin (Ben's son). :-)
Anyway, I digress. The property is a living, working estate and farm all the way things were done in the 18th century. They set stations up today for the kids so they could learn all about life during that time period. They tin punched Christmas ornaments.
wrote with real feathers and ink
played colonial games
did chores
We toured the summer kitchen. I didn't know that the underground "refrigerators" were deliberately placed near streams of water to keep the items cooler than just being underground would be. Neat!
We toured the main house. Kiddo #4 was dressed up in period clothing along with kiddo #2. Kiddo #3 liked posing near the colonial "children."
And probably the most "fun" thing for them was the militia drill. They were shown how muskets and rifles were loaded and they (with their unloaded or fake guns) got to assemble, march and come to attention. The guide shot his gun and boy was it loud! :-)
He also taught them all how to shoot a bow and arrow.
I was so glad that my hubby was off from work today and could join us! What a gem this historical site is, right in our "backyard," and yet we had never been there. I am so glad that the weather held out and we were able to share all of that history and fun with each other.









14 comments:
Envious about your homeschool day at Graeme Park! I would've loved it! My oldest is especially interested in archery :) I agree, those muskets are shockingly loud. Thanks so much for sharing your outing!
Wow, that looks great! I am going to have to look at where this is. We live in NJ. I love historical places. We always buy Christmas ornaments everywhere we go to remember our trips--I LOVE that your kids got to make them!
Wow! So much fun! I've never been to such an interactive event. Usually they let the kids do a few things, but never this much!
Annie Kate
http://anniekateshomeschoolreviews.com/
This sounds like a very interesting place Lisa. Your kids certainly had fun!
It looks like you had a blast :)
Thanks for stopping by and following me. I am now following you back
WOW! What a great hands on learning experience! I wish I could find things like this to get into around here! I can't even find a homeschool group within an hour driving distance to us... :( Oh well, that's why I blog and read blogs like yours! You are my homeschool group!
Looks like you and your family had a great time at Graeme Park. I totally love the old times feeling bursting in there! I am now following you thanks to Friday Blog Hop, and it would be so nice if you could share the love back on my blog;)
Also today we have the coolest blog hop there is... no rules just fun and would love you to join in with us at Boost My Blog Friday, where you can meet lots of friends and have a great time:) See you there!
Happy Friday!
Love living history for homeschooling! Found you on the Friday Hop, come visit on my book review blog www. melanieski.blogspot.com
Melanie
looks like everyone had a lot of fun!
Following from the friday hops. Hope you have a chance to visit and follow back. Have a great weekend!
Diane
http://turning-the-clock-back.blogspot.com/2011/09/blog-hopping-friday.html
Hello! I'm one of your newest followers from the Friday Blog Hop! I would love if you could return the follow! Thank you so much!
http://www.mrsgoldilocks.blogspot.com/
Love the pics - so bummed that we missed it! Perhaps next time!
Graeme Park looks like a blast! We love those historic places with "characters". The kids love asking them questions and helping them with whatever they're doing! LOL
Thanks for stopping by my blog! The kids chose their new blog names! LOL
what a great field trip! i would love to visit a place like that. i think i need to plan a trip to visit some historical places before my kids grow up :)
That looks like a wonderful field trip---fun and educational! Thanks for sharing all of the pictures!
Post a Comment