Saturday, August 20, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal

The Homeschool Mother's Journal 

Thank you to Sue for hosting the HMJ!  :-)

In my life this week: we are blessed to be on vacation in Ocean City, NJ.  There has been swimming in the pool, lots of time on the beach, walks on the boardwalk and rides on the amusements.  :-)

In our homeschool this week: We haven't done a full load here, of course, but we are reading some of our literature from Sonlight every day and I did bring down the materials for an ocean/beach lapbook that I am looking forward to.  One of my sons found a sand crab on the beach.  We brought him back to the apartment overnight, watched him and looked up their characteristics on the computer.  That was fun and they were learning, too!  :-)

I am inspired by: This week, there are little things that my children are doing to inspire me.  After we saw a magnificient rainbow over the ocean, my 7 year old daughter drew a picture with a rainbow that said "thank you God" on it and hung it up in the window.  If that doesn't give inspiration, I don't know what will!  :-))

Places we're going and people we're seeing:  During the remainder of our vacation, we are planning to do more of what we have already done in addition to going to the local zoo and aquarium.  We may even rent a boat for a ride.

Questions/thoughts I have: I am trying not to stress about the boxes of curricula that lay waiting at home or the two classes I will be starting to teach at co-op, teaching Sunday school and teaching a class at the university two nights a week.  It is too overwhelming if I think about it all.  Right now, I am trying to focus on vacation and having fun with my kids.  :-)

I'm reading: "Beyond Band of Brothers: Memoirs of Major Dick Winters", the new Duggar book, in addition to finishing "Raising Real Men"

I'm grateful for:  a wonderful husband, our 4 children, God's beautiful creation, sunsets over the beach/ocean and so much more.  I actually posted a "thankful Thursday" post yesterday that you can read where I listed so many more of the "little things" for which I am grateful.

A photo, video, link or quote to share:

We took the kids to Hershey last month.  I thought this was an awesome pic of the 4 of them together.

14 comments:

Julie Coney said...

HI! nice to "meet" you too!
If I had a dollar for every time i heard "you teach HIGH SCHOOL at HOME??" i would be a rich woman.

Thanks for stopping by and for the follow!

I hope you have a great time at the ocean.... The closest I was to where you are was Coney Island last november

see you around!

Carrie said...

Wow, Lisa, you'll be in my thoughts as you begin a very full schedule! What period of history do you teach? I almost majored in history - in my previous life, that is! You changed your site - nice!! Take care.

Carrie said...

Wow, Lisa, you'll be in my thoughts as you begin a very full schedule! What period of history do you teach? I almost majored in history - in my previous life, that is! You changed your site - nice!! Take care.

Lisa Boyle said...

@Carrie- The course I have been teaching for the college is "Colonial and Revolutionary America." I do love it. Maybe it's the homeschooler in me, but I have the students building their own colonial homes and cooking a colonial meal. It is a fun class! At least they're never bored, lol! :-)

gail said...

your beach vacation sounds wonderful - keep enjoying it! i enjoyed your 'thankful thursday' post too. cute pic of your kids :)

Martha said...

Stopping by HSMJ.
Hope you continue to enjoy your vacation. Rest time is precious.

Like the pic from Hershey. When we were there several years ago, we didn't see any of the characters, so we don't have any cute pics like that.

Aloha Acres said...

Homeschooling on the beach? Can't beat that. Sounds great.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I look forward to getting to know you more.

Tracy said...

Thanks for visiting my blog from THMJ! First, I am a little jealous that you are enjoying the beach. We haven't made it there this year (yet!). Second, my big sis is named Lisa, so you are already special!

I may need your encouragement as I try to teach history to my children. I am sorry to say that it was my least favorite subject in school.

Enjoy the rest of your vacation! I'll be following along with you this year. :)

Annie Kate said...

What a great place to vacation! Enjoy every minute of it and don't think of the work that's coming up.

I'm so glad to meet you. I gave up being a part time prof 15 years ago, and can't imagine doing as much as you are. LOL We all have to work with the amounts of energy we're given, and I've not been given all that much the last decade.

That being said, do be sure to take extra good care of your health this year. You'll need every bit of energy and peace you can find.

Blessings,
Annie Kate
http://anniekateshomeschoolreviews.com/

Joyful Learner said...

Thanks for stopping by! Your children sound so sweet. Thanks for the reminder to have fun. Hope easing into teaching will go smoothly and does not cause too much stress.

Jenny @ Book Sojourner said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Good luck with your Fall schedule. I work part-time and homeschool as well, so I can relate to your busy schedule. But at least we both like our jobs, which is more than many people. I hope you are able to balance it all and enjoy it.

Jessica said...

Did you change your site or your header? Something looks different. I love the picture of the kids at the top.

Lisa Boyle said...

@Jessica, yes I changed the whole blog- layout, colors, fonts, the works. Thanks for the compliment on the photo. It is a favorite of mine of all 4 of the kids together. :-)

flmom said...

Thanks for stopping by from the HHH! Love your photo - too cute! You are so right about the rainbow ... very inspiring!