On Friday, the kiddos and I baked Lenten pretzels. We learned from the "Holy Heroes Lenten Adventure" program, that pretzels originated as penitential food for Lent. We also found out that the first pretzels were made in the Italy in the early 600s. A monk was making Lenten bread with flour, salt and water because he could not use butter, milk and eggs due to the much more strict abstinence requirements than we have today. He made them into the shape of prayer, as it was common to cross your arms over your chest when praying. They were given to children as rewards for knowing their prayers. They were also distributed to the poor and were a good form of sustenance.
After hearing all of this from the program, they were anxious to make their own. So, after our school work was complete, we followed the recipe provided and they came out really tasty! The kiddos put salt on the first batch and cinnamon sugar on the second. We had a lot of fun! :-))
1 comment:
What a great idea! I think I'll do this with mine this week! Your kids are sooo cute Lisa!
Post a Comment