Sunday, August 9, 2009

Summer just flying by.....

Wow, I can't believe it's August already. The summer is just flying by. I always thought it was a cliche when the adults would tell us that the older you get, the faster time seems to go, but I have found that it is an unfortunate reality. Like the fact that our baby is set to start kindergarten this year. Wow.... When she was born, Mike was in Iraq. In some ways, it seems like yesterday. In other ways, it seems like a lifetime ago.

Work is going well. I don't think many people know how much it takes to run a school. It is crazy busy. I have been giving tours almost every day and signed up 4 new students this past week alone and 10 more in the last couple of weeks. I should have my enrollment at 100 soon. I haven't hired an assistant yet, so I am doing everything myself. It's hard enough to do one job, let alone two. :-) But, to be honest, I was doing that for sometime since my predecessor was pretty inept and didn't last more than a few months. In that time, she managed to mess up more than I could possibly describe in a blog post. Every day, I am trying to "fix" more of her mistakes. Just keep in your thoughts or prayers in the next couple of weeks as I prepare for our state inspection.

I am looking forward to our annual trip to the New Jersey shore. This year, my parents rented the place for 2 weeks instead of one. I am grateful that Mike was able to get both weeks off. In the past, they didn't even give him one week and he had to do a lot of commuting. The post office is a horrible employer, abuses their employees (without the union doing a darn thing about it) and pays them wages that are a disgrace (we qualified for WIC throughout all of our childrens' early years because of his measily salary!) Now that I have a job, though, I am worried about being away for that long. I am trying to get everything together and am training someone on how to process the tuition payments that are going to come in while I'm gone, etc., but I have a feeling that my cell phone is going to be ringing! :-) At least, the 2nd week, the school is closed. It is the "prep" week for teachers and they will be transferring everything over from "camp" mode to "school" mode. But, I am looking forward to 2 weeks of sun, surf and fun (well, maybe more pool than surf since I just finished watching "Shark Week" on the Discovery Channel, lol! :-)

Well, I just wanted to post a quick update. Back to getting the basement "kitchen" ready for "Tomato Day" tomorrow. Mom, Dad and Mike are going to be canning/jarring the 10 bushels of tomatoes. It is a day-long ordeal, but we get a year's worth of homemade gravy (sauce for the Italian-impaired, lol) as a result!

Love to all!

2 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

Lisa,

Nice to see that you will be getting a well deserved vacation! I hope that it is wonderful!

Blessings,
Cheryl Ann

mel said...

Sheesh, I always thought the post office was a good employer! I don't know where I got that idea though, no good source I guess, just something I picked up along the way!